transfer switch install questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjg

This seems to be improperly installed. this is what I see, please correct me if I'm wrong or add to the list.

not SE rated
nipple not bonded correctly
SEU should replaced with SER
service grounding still in main panel
Service entrance conductor spliced
no bushing on generator conductor conduit

This is not my install. I was called by my customer to install a generator for him at the same price as this one which was installed at his friends house. No permit and I beleive installed on a Sunday morning for $7000.00. Generator is a 20 kw natural gas. The installation included gas piping as well. one other item i don't know the answer to is the exhaust end of the genny is appx 2 feet from the gas meter. Problem ?

ceb58

This seems to be improperly installed. this is what I see, please correct me if I'm wrong or add to the list.

not SE rated
nipple not bonded correctly
SEU should replaced with SER
service grounding still in main panel
Service entrance conductor spliced
no bushing on generator conductor conduit

This is not my install. I was called by my customer to install a generator for him at the same price as this one which was installed at his friends house. No permit and I beleive installed on a Sunday morning for $7000.00. Generator is a 20 kw natural gas. The installation included gas piping as well. one other item i don't know the answer to is the exhaust end of the genny is appx 2 feet from the gas meter. Problem ?

The violations, let me count the ways:D
702.5 2
What did the $7000.00 include as far as material and equipment?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah there are a bunch of violations there. I would first put a disconnect before the TS, use pvc fitting, run a ser cable to the inside, etc. It also seems like the automatic TS is switching the entire house but the genny if not big enough for the loads-- based on wire sizes.

pjg

The $7k was for the complete installation all material, genny and gas line install.

I didn't do a load calc on the house- furnace is gas though.

one item I forgot to list-- the unit is installed too close to the strucure according to the manufacturer(less than two feet from the house and not level)

mcclary's electrical

Yeah there are a bunch of violations there. I would first put a disconnect before the TS, use pvc fitting, run a ser cable to the inside, etc. It also seems like the automatic TS is switching the entire house but the genny if not big enough for the loads-- based on wire sizes.

That's the first thing I noticed Dennis,,,,this is illegal as it can be. A 20 kw generator,,,,,where ther should be no smaller than a 50kw. This is automatic transfer,,,right?? Unless there is some automatic load shed somewhere, this is very dangerous.

360Youth

That's the first thing I noticed Dennis,,,,this is illegal as it can be. A 20 kw generator,,,,,where ther should be no smaller than a 50kw. This is automatic transfer,,,right?? Unless there is some automatic load shed somewhere, this is very dangerous.

The install may be dangerous, but the 20kw is not. It may not be smart, but the 85 amp generator OCP should do its job. If this was installed prior to '08 it is not even a violation (genset sizing, mind you), just potentially under sized.

ceb58

The $7k was for the complete installation all material, genny and gas line install.

I didn't do a load calc on the house- furnace is gas though.

one item I forgot to list-- the unit is installed too close to the strucure according to the manufacturer(less than two feet from the house and not level)

You need to smile and walk away. If the 7k included the gen set and ATS best case would be 5k for the gen. and ATS. 2k for every thing else plus labor. NO WAY For a code compliant install. You can ball park a install at around $500.00 per kw.
The person that did the install and the install needs to be reported before some one is seriously injured.

pjg

The owner of this install told me that he received a flyer in the mail for this company. I don't know the name- I'm going to try to find out who it is and go from there. The only info I have now is that they are in Columbus, Ohio.

ty

The owner of this install told me that he received a flyer in the mail for this company. I don't know the name- I'm going to try to find out who it is and go from there. The only info I have now is that they are in Columbus, Ohio.

Hmm. That's in Mike Park's area. Wonder who inspected this install??

Status
Not open for further replies.