Older split bus panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have been a "lurker" for a while on the forums. I want to say thank you to Mr. Holt, the moderators and everyone that posts here for having such a good and valuable resource available.

I have been an inside wireman in the Wash. DC area for almost 30 years. I have been a home inspector for seven years now.
I recently came across another home inspector that thinks having a single pole breaker in the upper section of a split bus panel is dangerous. I am of the opinion that as long as it does not exceed 6 hand movements to turn off the panel it is ok.

Observation; In the older split bus panels the "mains" section is designed to contain up to 6- 2 pole circuit breakers for larger appliances and equipment in a typical home. ie Water Heater, Dryer, AC etc. One of those breakers, sometimes two- depending on the manufacturer will be designated for the lower half of the panel for lighting, small appliances and receptacles. Sometimes these panels will not use all of the "Main" spaces thus leaving spaces available as "Spares" The homowner or other well meaning individual will add a single pole 120 VAC circuit breaker in the available space. If there are more than 6 hand movements required to turn off power to the panel it is obviously a violation.

Question; If it does not exceed the rule of 6, can that single pole breaker stay there or is it not supposed to be there at all. I cannot find a code reference that says it cannot be there.
I am waiting on a response from Square D , Cutler Hammer and the AHJ on this as well.
Just wondered if any of you all had come across this or had gotten written up for it.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Fernando, welcome to the forum! :)

Question; If it does not exceed the rule of 6, can that single pole breaker stay there or is it not supposed to be there at all.
It can indeed be there. It's up to the installer to maintain compliance.

It's just like a panel with more than 6 (or 12) spaces without a main, as long as the 6-handle rule is followed.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Indeed. Welcome to the Forum!

The "six disconnect rule" does not specify whether the disconnect is single, double or triple (or more) pole.

A single pole breaker can definitely be one of the disconnects in a split bus panel.

stars13bars2

When they used to have that six motions of the hand verbage, I knew guys that said they could switch off seven single pole breakers with the back of their hand and little finger. They would then install 42 circuit MLO panels and claim they met the code. These were usually not inspected installations.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd like to see them try that with knife switches, which is where the term originated, if I'm not mistaken.

Answers from Suare D and Cutler hammer

Answers from Suare D and Cutler hammer

It seems technical support had to consult the old timers. Both company reps agree that they do not see a problem as long as there are no more tha 6 disconnects in that upper section. AHJ....still waiting on answer. Thank you gents for you answers.

kwired

Electron manager
When they used to have that six motions of the hand verbage, I knew guys that said they could switch off seven single pole breakers with the back of their hand and little finger. They would then install 42 circuit MLO panels and claim they met the code. These were usually not inspected installations.
7 breakers with one motion would have required a 7 pole handle tie

Status
Not open for further replies.