Wires under a wire nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstrang

I just recentlet failed an inspection because I had 5 #12 grounds under a red wire nut. I was told that I could only have four wires under 1 wire nut. where in the nec does it say this. I can not find it.

Riograndeelectric

you will need to look at the box that the wire nuts came into see what the manufacture instructions say.
The issue is not with the NEC but with the manufacture of the wire nut. I know that on the ideal green wire nuts you Can only use 4#12S

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a box of 3M Scotchlok B, blue wire connectors that lists 3 to 6-#12 AWG conductors.

rwreuter

this is an example of some inspector making a mountain out of a mole hill.

second it is an example of the worse kind....people having POWER and NOT knowing what they are talking about.

this is the way that i deal with inspectors (i don't work in the electrical career field any longer)....don't talk to me unless you can back up what you are saying, because if you do, the first thing I am going to ask you is "where does it say that?" in my job you can't "write" me up for something that doesn't exist, if they document it, it has to have a referrence, no referrence, no write up.

most people i know are just intimidated by them and they just do what they say so they will leave them alone. me, no way, i want to know my job.

we have rules for a reason....if we have people going around making up things then what are the rules for.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

e57

5 for a red of many modern types is not uncommon. Even then - as it depends on the model - there are listed combinations that are not even on the box/bag, but available from the manufacturer as it is quite a lot of info to but on a small box... Like on page 2 of this - the dot represents a listed combination on the graph.

So if it were that model number - he might be eatin' crow.

And if it were one of these - note the graph is set up different - it the vertical column, PLUS the horizontal column - he might have to eat a pigeon...

If one of these - only in certain combos of #12 solid with stranded would he have a leg up in giving someone a red tag for something so silly as a unsubstantiated rumor or myth, or grasping for an nonexistent code.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
5 for a red of many modern types is not uncommon. Even then - as it depends on the model - there are listed combinations that are not even on the box/bag, but available from the manufacturer as it is quite a lot of info to but on a small box... Like on page 2 of this - the dot represents a listed combination on the graph.

So if it were that model number - he might be eatin' crow.

And if it were one of these - note the graph is set up different - it the vertical column, PLUS the horizontal column - he might have to eat a pigeon...

If one of these - only in certain combos of #12 solid with stranded would he have a leg up in giving someone a red tag for something so silly as a unsubstantiated rumor or myth, or grasping for an nonexistent code.

Good link.

I could have used this 20 years ago. Had a left-handed helper twisting the wirenuts the wrong way (counter-clockwise).

"3. Turn connector onto wires in clockwise direction until secure."

e57

Good link.

I could have used this 20 years ago. Had a left-handed helper twisting the wirenuts the wrong way (counter-clockwise).

"3. Turn connector onto wires in clockwise direction until secure."
Oh - I had that guy on my crew some time back - 'Mr. Screwgun is in charger - so sit on butt'... He has a brother called 'I left all of my tools at my side job' - I sacked them both.

Back to the links with instructions - note the parts about twisting or not twisting wire first...

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Oh - I had that guy on my crew some time back - 'Mr. Screwgun is in charger - so sit on butt'... He has a brother called 'I left all of my tools at my side job' - I sacked them both.

Back to the links with instructions - note the parts about twisting or not twisting wire first...
Why would you sack them for no tools? That's the average guy now. You're supposed to keep him in tools and provide transportation and lunch too. Didn't you know that?

e57

Why would you sack them for no tools? That's the average guy now. You're supposed to keep him in tools and provide transportation and lunch too. Didn't you know that?
You sack 'em for low/no production. Hand tools are your stuff... A screw-gun is a personal luxury - sans that I don't care how big your forearms get.

electricmanscott

With names like that I wouldn't have hired them in the first place. :grin:

hardworkingstiff

I had a ceiling inspection called in and was making up a junction box when the inspector showed up. I was using B-2 wire nuts. The inspector asked how many #12's I could get into one of those wire nuts. I said "quite a few, but by code only 4 solids or 5 stranded" (or the other way around, I don't remember, but I had just read the bag 10-minutes before he showed up). He got this puzzled look on his face, picked up the bag and read the instructions.

We got along great. :grin:

e57

With names like that I wouldn't have hired them in the first place. :grin:
One was AKA 'Side Show Bob' - because he looked just like him...
Sideshow-Bob.gif

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Ideals 452 Red Wingnut appears to accept 5, Ideals B2 Red and 3ms Red Scothlok appear not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.