smoke alarm red wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

Yes, I know it is not an NEC thing, but since we wire them, is it now code to red wire (chain to alarm) ALL the smokes in the house? I thought it was optional (at least in some cases, perhaps when adding on to old systems?)

raider1

Staff member
The requirement to interconnect smoke alarms comes from the building codes.

The IRC (International Residential Code) requires that all smoke alarms installed in a dwelling unit must be interconnected.

There is an exception for interconnection of alarms in a remodel or addition where the alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure and there is not accessible attic, crawl space or basements where fishing the wire is possible you are not required to interconnect the smoke alarms.

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One thing we've been able to do with additions is to wire (at least) one detector within the existing structure that is interconnected with the required new detectors.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
http://safetyproductsunlimited.com/wireless_smoke_alarm.html

They are approved as a means to interconnect smokes arround here. They have a tech sheet at the bottom of the linked page if you need to take it to AHJ for approval.

I just saw those at the blue box store the other day. Kind of a double edged sword. On one hand, it's a great way to protect a home. On the other hand, now it will be harder to sell the service of fishing wires in the customer's homes to interconnect all the alarms.

bradleyelectric

I just saw those at the blue box store the other day. Kind of a double edged sword. On one hand, it's a great way to protect a home. On the other hand, now it will be harder to sell the service of fishing wires in the customer's homes to interconnect all the alarms.

You can sell the service of interconnecting smokes without fishing wires. Do you have to make less money while being more efficient? I thought being more efficient was a way of making more money.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You can sell the service of interconnecting smokes without fishing wires. Do you have to make less money while being more efficient? I thought being more efficient was a way of making more money.

Instead of the money going towards your labor, it is going towards materials. That's making less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.