New Mass Smoke detector codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info. You mentioned the Carbon combo units, I know homeowners can get the ones that plug into receptacles. Has the rule changed that they requiered to be hard wired, or is that for combo units only?

- JWC

Hard wired for "new work" such as new construction or renovation where system is brought up to code.

Battery or plug in with battery backup are acceptable for existing housing.

My appologies for being testy earlier, but I did read your info and I was also reading the info on the States web site. I don't do much resy and I always try and be extra cautious when it comes to smokes and carbons. I just want to get it straight in my head. Especially since they seem to change it monthly. The Mass CMR states all smokes outside the 20 foot kitchen and bath zone must be combo ionization and photoelectric,or two seperate units, and that doesn't go into effect until April. While this CMR deals with resales, I can't see the difference when it would come to new const. Am I way off base, what would be the logic for the differnce?

electricmanscott

My appologies for being testy earlier, but I did read your info and I was also reading the info on the States web site. I don't do much resy and I always try and be extra cautious when it comes to smokes and carbons. I just want to get it straight in my head. Especially since they seem to change it monthly. The Mass CMR states all smokes outside the 20 foot kitchen and bath zone must be combo ionization and photoelectric,or two seperate units, and that doesn't go into effect until April. While this CMR deals with resales, I can't see the difference when it would come to new const. Am I way off base, what would be the logic for the differnce?

New construction regulations are in the building code.

You have to click on that link I posted, print it our, and read it thoroughly. It is actually explained very well considering it's coming from a government agency. :grin:

electricmanscott

I left out that the requirements outlined apply to single family dwelling
For up to three family dwellings add the following:

Common areas must have smoke detectors on each level. These smoke must be interconnected to each other (not to the smoke detectors inside the dwelling units)and can not be powered from a tenant panel. If the location does not allow smoke detectors (such as an outdoor stairway common in some three family buildings) heat detectors may be required.

I want to add to this.

In two family dwellings that have common areas such as hallways and basements that serve both units you need a heat detector with a sounding device installed inside each unit and it must be interconnected with the common area smoke detectors but not interconnected with the smoke detectors within the dwelling unit.

I would assume this applies to three families as well but it does not say that in the one and two family code.

electricmanscott

CMR 780 Which is the building code applies to new construction

CMR 527 Applies to resale of properties built in before 1975 when the building code was first adopted.

The first section on this page explains this.

http://www.spencerfire.org/PressReleases/527 CMR 32 00 (2).pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.