Lifting Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

I can't remember the last time I had to suspend a 45KVA trans. from the ceiling (above 8' from bottom of trans.). I'm thinking....I don't know, it's a cramped area, maybe a lift used for AC's.Total weight is 385, what's the limit on one of those.

Article 90.1

The last lift we used had a 500 pound limit, we used it for bus duct. The models at our local rental house are rated for 650 pounds.

iwire

Staff member
I prefer to use a chain fall if space allows. A 1000 pound chain fall can be pretty small.

url

Stay away from those cheap wire rope 'come alongs' for overhead lifting.

url

charlietuna

Duct lift the best way to go-- we have extended the platform legs for safety on ours and can handle 75 kva's with no problem.

e57

I used to do a lot of work in a facility where we had to do much the same thing - Hang transformers in small closets from the cieling.

What we used to do - and I'm not going to claim it was the safest or the most proper method.

We would hang the rods it would be suspended from - but in full 10' lengths with the rods and nuts in the right order through the strut crib that would eventually support it. Then take tension off of the rods and nuts with a few - 10K lbs cargo straps suspended fro good seperate mounts in the ceiling - enough to get about a few inches of play on the nuts - then move the nuts up to meet the load. Then keep doing that a few inches at a time until it got to the right hieght. Slow going, but worked... And the load is supported by either the nuts or straps with a minimum distance between being solely supported by either. To me the only dangerous part was when it had to go more than 10' - and getting the load up to the rods - we did that by jacks and cribbing....

Anyway - good luck...

charlietuna

The reasoning of using a duct lift is that most hanging transformers don't have a lot of working space above them for rigging a chain fall or come-a-long. The lift we use has a 1000 pound capacity and is equiped with outriggers when needed to make the lift safe. Also most electric room ceilings aren't the easiest to access due to raceways. Also, many times transformers are raised and then hung over other equipment. GOOD LUCK with a overhead come-a-long possible with a single point of support!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.