Disconnect for welding receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull982

Is a disconnected needed for a 480V welding receptacle?

We do not use disconnects for any motors or equipment in our facility because by code, if we have a documented lock out tag out procedure then the disconnects are not required.

Can the same apply for a welding receptacle?

Volta

Is a disconnected needed for a 480V welding receptacle?
The breaker can serve as the required disconnect, if none exists as part of the welder 630.13
We do not use disconnects for any motors or equipment in our facility because by code, if we have a documented lock out tag out procedure then the disconnects are not required.
The NEC will require the disconnects to exist in various manners, but do not stipulate the use of them. Look to NFPA 70E for that. Otherwise, if you use LOTO, you are using disconnects. Properly located and installed or not.
Can the same apply for a welding receptacle?
The receptacle will not qualify as the required disconnect, IMO. A switch integral to the equipment will.

TxEngr

I'm not sure about the code but from a pure safety standpoint, install a disconnect. You can purchase disconnects today that have an integral interlock to prevent the insertion or removal of a plug while the disconnect is energized. This is critical to the safe operation of welding disconnects. So from a pure safety standpoint, install the disconnects with the integral safety. There may even be an OSHA requirement for this now - anyone? I also recommend using the disconnects with the safety windows that allow viewing the stabs to ensure that the disconnect is fully open.

TxEngr

mcclary's electrical

Switch or breaker disconnect is required 630.13. Equipment is usually fed through one or the other though. :roll:

Doesn't say individual, doesn't say within sight.

When I said that, I was referring to him speaking of the rest of the plant's motors are cord and plug connected. I was not speaking of the welder receptacle. You are correct.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is an arc flash potential when plugging and unplugging a 480 volt cord. Some safety people require an interlocked disconnect for the welding receptacle that prevents the cord from being plugged in or unplugged while the receptacle is live. In my area this is becoming more and more common.

TxEngr

Jraef - I've used the Meltric plugs many times and highly recommend them. They are a bit pricey however. Our solution was to make all welding disconnects in the plant be the interlocked type and all contractors have to use our style plug to work in our plant. Problem solved and the plugs aren't near as expensive as the disconnects.

The receptacle will not qualify as the required disconnect, IMO. A switch integral to the equipment will.

There are receptacles availabe with integral switches. Require twisting the receptacle when inserted to:
  1. Mechanically lock the receptacle into pleace,
  2. Activate a rotary switch that in turn energizes the 'socket'.
There still remains the question if this requires an arc-flash hazard labeling and corresponding PPE. According to NFPA 70E it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.