Water hose in raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Hi guys, Here's a new one for you. We have a city that wants to put a flexible hose inside a street light to water their hanging baskets. We have USE or THHN/THWN supply conductors with ESNA Brand fuse kits then it goes to a 2 conductor pole and bracket cable up to the luminaire. I have looked through Chapters 3 and 4 and can only find anything similar in 300-11b(1) that even remotely applies.

Is this a violation and where would I look?

Thanks in advance!
Rich

RichB

Occupation
Forgot to add--everything is listed for wet locations and I know that all feild made holes need to have engineering approval.

Gut feeling is this is a violation but I need references before I can tell them no.

Thanks

dbuckley

Just one word: "Disney".

They have many lamp posts with auto-watered plants hanging off them.

I know the municipality of Reedy Creek is a tad odd, but they do approximately follow the NEC...

kwired

Electron manager
410.30 (B) permits a metal pole supporting a luminare to be used as a raceway it does not require it to be used as a raceway. If you can make the pole "not a raceway" you can run anything you wish in it, including a raceway to supply the luminare.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi guys, Here's a new one for you. We have a city that wants to put a flexible hose inside a street light to water their hanging baskets. We have USE or THHN/THWN supply conductors with ESNA Brand fuse kits then it goes to a 2 conductor pole and bracket cable up to the luminaire. I have looked through Chapters 3 and 4 and can only find anything similar in 300-11b(1) that even remotely applies.

Is this a violation and where would I look?

Thanks in advance!
Rich

My take is that if you are using USE that does not require a raceway. It can be argued that when you add the hose to the inside of the pole it is not a raceway anymore, but since USE does not require a raceway it is not an issue.

THWN, OTOH, does require a raceway.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My take is that if you are using USE that does not require a raceway. It can be argued that when you add the hose to the inside of the pole it is not a raceway anymore, but since USE does not require a raceway it is not an issue.

THWN, OTOH, does require a raceway.

I think I would disagee on the USE situation. USE when above ground must comply with 338.12(B) which requires it to be in a raceway.

RichB

Occupation
Thanks for all the info folks--Geesh can't believe I overlooked those references--

Here's what I sent the engineer types who asked(after I read all those sections)

It is a violation of 300-8 unless they find a way to make it "not" a raceway-or that they may tell us inspectors it is ok under 90-2(b)(5)(b) and 90-2(c) then we will allow it(as the city owns the lighting and is in their right of way and contract State DOT to maintain and repair)--otherwise no go.

Thanks again for all help!--

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.