under ground services

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Be a POCO call, I'd say.
All the POCOs I deal with want to spot ANY new meter regardless of size and want to review any changes from O.H. to U.G.

480sparky

Are you referring to a load calculation? Most POCOs require one, as do many AHJs.

Or do you mean to locate a buried line? If so, call and have it located just to CYA.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
"By law, everyone MUST contact the Ohio Utilities Protection Service, 1-800-362-2764 or 8-1-1, at least 48 hours but no more than 10 working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before beginning ANY digging project."

Note: ANY digging project.

http://www.oups.org/

kbsparky

I don't have to call the Ohio folks to dig around here. But I do have to call my local "Miss Utility" service. :grin:

Most states require similar calls for underground location of buried utility lines before any digging or excavation.

As implied in this thread, 811 is becoming the national standard number for such calls.

480sparky

"By law, everyone MUST contact the Ohio Utilities Protection Service, 1-800-362-2764 or 8-1-1, at least 48 hours but no more than 10 working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before beginning ANY digging project."

Note: ANY digging project.

http://www.oups.org/

Same thing in Iowa. It's a legal requirement to call. Otherwise, you're on the hook for any and all damages.

I know a plumbing outfit that never called for locates when running a new domestic line to a dwelling. Tore up the water line, the street lighting, a high-pressure gas line and two fiber-optic cables. THAT was not a profitable day for them, I'm sure.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
It should also be noted that at least around here for $20 the person marking the locations will dead nuts both location and elevation for me.

480sparky

It should also be noted that at least around here for $20 the person marking the locations will dead nuts both location and elevation for me.

Your undergrounds are elevated?
032.gif
No wonder Al likes doing underground so much....... it's all elevated!
emot105.gif

Volta

Ohio Utility Protection Services. A 'one-number' stop for utility locating services. They contact the power, phone, wire and gas utilities in the area for marking or simply responding that they have no underground systems in that area. No privately owned systems are marked, though.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I am glad they mention it that way. I often feel silly waiting 48 hours to drive ground rods, but it sure does feel better than what can happen.

Back in the early 90's we had a helper drive a ground rod for a temp. service, the ones for new constuction on a 2X4 post. The electric was run in the rear of the lots. He placed the rod in the trench that held the priimary, he did not notice the ground had settled. Started to drive it in the ground and BAM.

He was lucky that he was not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.