Tools of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

Everyone has their favorite tools of choice. What is your preference?
Feedback is welcome

JJ

Bosch Bulldog Rotary Hammer
Bosch Litheon? 12V Max Fastening Driver
Milwaukee 1/2 in. Hole-Hawg? Drill
Milwaukee 1/2 in. D-Handle Right Angle Drill Kit
Milwaukee Portable Band Saw
Klien 9? side cutting linesman?s
Klien or Craftsman screwdrivers
Craftsman sockets
Greenlee hydraulic punch sets and dies
Ideal hand benders

peter

Agree with Bosch Bulldog
Panasonic 15.? drill/impact driver
Harbor Freight Bandsaw [$70 vs $300 for Milwaukee, does the same thing]
Klein screwdriver. No Sear's screwdrivers. One I had failed.
Klein linesmen's.
All the benders are about the same. So I got 1 of each. Also Eriksen bender which does all three sizes. I don't do 1 1/4" which should be banned.
I could go on but why bother?
~Peter

PetrosA

Ok, just a few that I'll mention:

Hilti TC-15C - lightweight SDS+ rotary hammer that kicks butt but doesn't wear you out like one of the big spline or SDS MAX ones for things like cutting out brick for wallcases, channeling in walls, getting lines through brick/block walls etc.

Milwaukee Hatchet Sawzall, 18V - It's the smoothest running sawzall I've used, cordless or corded, and the fact that it folds up is terrific in tight spaces or when you have to get a certain angle on cuts.

Fluke laser distance meter - Hugely reduces time for certain measurements like centering a fan on a sloped ceiling 12' above the floor.

sash chain and tape measure - two of the best fishing tools known to man ;)

Wiha and Knipex hand tools - best I've ever used.

my Ranger Tool and Parts slider drawers (photo in the HD/Lowes thread) - My truck would be very difficult to use without them, and I can only imagine that in a full size van they would add the same comfort and convenience. Oh, I forgot to add that they are THE babe magnet. ;)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Real Chicago benders. They will be branded "Lidseen". I have two, one is over 60 years old and still turns pipe into jewelry in the right hands.

Real Yankee screwdrivers. (I just got one for a buck at a yard sale)

AVO and Sanwa megohmmeters.

Ideal Vol-Con circuit testers.

Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver

Greenlee tic tracer (I have used many, the Greenlee I have is the best so far.)

Motorola radios, cell phones and pagers.

Ideal tungsten tipped panel cutter bits.

1979 Ford F-150 tugger

Colt .380 Mk IV Series 80 Gov't Model pocket rocket (good for work in the 'hood)

Channelok linesmans. (After decades, I decided to try something other than Kliens and so far I have been elated)

Cheapo multi-tip 6 in 1 screwdrivers. (They are as good as Kliens and much cheaper. Plus they seem to not get stolen as quickly)

Any tool made by Snap-On, Blue Point or Ingersol-Rand.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone tried Jig a Clean hand cleaner?

It is great. You don't even need a rag. The stuff dissolves grease like nothing I have ever seen and then dries into a powder and you just brush it off.

http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaclean.php

Totally different than any other hand cleaner. I got my first can Friday and was amazed. The stuff is now on the list of tools I carry. Saves rags, too.

Usual disclaimer. I just like the stuff. I have no pecuniary interest in it or the company. Your mileage may vary. No animals were harmed, etc.

shepelec

Real Chicago benders. They will be branded "Lidseen". I have two, one is over 60 years old and still turns pipe into jewelry in the right hands.

Real Yankee screwdrivers. (I just got one for a buck at a yard sale)

AVO and Sanwa megohmmeters.

Ideal Vol-Con circuit testers.

Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver

Greenlee tic tracer (I have used many, the Greenlee I have is the best so far.)

Motorola radios, cell phones and pagers.

Ideal tungsten tipped panel cutter bits.

1979 Ford F-150 tugger

Colt .380 Mk IV Series 80 Gov't Model pocket rocket (good for work in the 'hood)

Channelok linesmans. (After decades, I decided to try something other than Kliens and so far I have been elated)

Cheapo multi-tip 6 in 1 screwdrivers. (They are as good as Kliens and much cheaper. Plus they seem to not get stolen as quickly)

Any tool made by Snap-On, Blue Point or Ingersol-Rand.

I've found the .380 just does not have the knock down power.:grin:

Minuteman

I don't do 1 1/4" which should be banned.

I've ran miles (well, it seems like it) of 1 1/4" EMT over the last 3 months at a local TEREX plant. What's your beef with it?

Fluke Tic Tracer
Dottie Hydraulic KO punch
DeWalt 18v Sawzall (Much lighter than Milwaukee)
DeWalt Radio (Charges AND plays tunes)
All Klien

dmagyar

Ford F 150

Ford F 150

Ford Truck
Benfield benders, Klein side cutters, Sta-kon Diagonals, "Chanellocks", Klein screwdrivers, Hilti battery 12v. impact driver, Hilti 15 v. battery drill, Hilti 16C hammer drill, Milwaukee Hole Haug 1/2" drill, Festool systainer 12 drawer, American Van flat four bed drawers, TracRack rack, rails and sliding bed tool box. Most anything Fluke; Ideal suretest, Fein Multimaster, Festool "midi" vacuum, Black Diamond AA 3W headlamp, Klein blue handle strippers.

PetrosA

Ford Truck
Benfield benders, Klein side cutters, Sta-kon Diagonals, "Chanellocks", Klein screwdrivers, Hilti battery 12v. impact driver, Hilti 15 v. battery drill, Hilti 16C hammer drill, Milwaukee Hole Haug 1/2" drill, Festool systainer 12 drawer, American Van flat four bed drawers, TracRack rack, rails and sliding bed tool box. Most anything Fluke; Ideal suretest, Fein Multimaster, Festool "midi" vacuum, Black Diamond AA 3W headlamp, Klein blue handle strippers.

Hmm, do I detect a fellow tool fiend? ;)

peter

"I've ran miles (well, it seems like it) of 1 1/4" EMT over the last 3 months at a local TEREX plant. What's your beef with it?"

1/2", 3/4" and 1" are bendable with ordinary benders. 1 1/4" is not. They do make a 1 1/4" bender but you have to have a Jimmy Pfeifer to handle it. [Jimmy was an apprentice who weighed ~400 lbs.]

Beyond 1 1/2" and above, you are forced to use mechanical benders or pre-manufacted elbows. Contractors will be forced to invest in 1 1/2" benders and above but they don't get the 1 1/4" attachment. So you get stuck with essentially unbendable 1 1/4" conduit just becase it looks good on paper.

~Peter
Secretary general and commander general of the Intergalactic Commissional for the banning of 1 1/4", evil conduit.
Note: we have already sucessfully gotten 1 3/4" conduit banned. You don't see that around do you.

e57

Knipex and Wi-Ha hand tools. Fien Multi-master and vaccum, Hilti Lasers, hammer drills, powder accuated and lately range finder... Bosch on occasion for a lot of other stuff. And yes - I am noticing they are all German... :roll: Not because where they are made - but because they a designed and made well...

Then Fluke... Meters and IR temp.

As for 1 1/4" - invest in tools for the trade... Or find a good rental place nearby. Around here one of the little chinese independant supply houses will bend anything I want up to 4". And American Rentals (a small independant) here in SF will rent me a bender by the hour, day or month - sometimes I just walk in with some pipe - cut it, thread it, bend it and leave...

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I like the Klein yellow handle strippers for solid, red handle ergonomic for stranded.

Last week I cut a live 220v with my Klein "Kleins" that I've been using probably since the early '90s, now I have to give it a twist to cut through Romex. Oh well, time for a new pair, hope they're still about $9.99.

Klein made a hacksaw that I hated and also some bad water pump pliers (we call them Channellocks for a reason), but I like their screwdrivers.

Years ago I would have said Makita for a battery drill, later DeWalt, now I'm ready to buy another and wondering what brand to look for. I use it mostly to run in screws but do drill with it too.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Years ago I would have said Makita for a battery drill, later DeWalt, now I'm ready to buy another and wondering what brand to look for. I use it mostly to run in screws but do drill with it too.
Two words you need to consider-Impact Driver, baby. Pick a brand. I'm partial to Makita and Millwalkee. Use a spade bit or chuck adapter for the occasional hole drilling. You'll spend the next week after your purchase looking for places to drive screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.