Hospital Grade Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodonnell

I am doing some work at a VA hospital. They want us to install floor boxes with four single receptacles in it along with voice and data. I have let them know that I am unable to get hospital grade receptacles in this style. These are being used at a nurse station on the normal power system and there emergency power system. I have looked thru the code book and it tells me that all receptacles at patient beds need to be hospital grade, but I can not find anything about the type of receptacles at other locations.

Do you know if we can or can not use NON- hospital grade receptacles in this application. The VA is telling me to use them and I do not feel it is a good choice and I am looking for a way to prove this to them.

Thanks

wireguru

they make hospital grade single receptacles p/n 8210 for 15 amp and 8310 for 20 amp from both leviton and hubbell.

edit: or do these floor boxes have some sort of OEM receptacle in them?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You do not need HG receptacles at these locations, the only place they are required are at "Patient Beds" per 517.18(B)

Roger

Jodonnell

The receptacles are pre-made in the assembles and they (hubbell and wire mold) will not provide hospital grade receptacles with these. We can not change the receptacles in the field either.

Status
Not open for further replies.