Terms @ RJ-45

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

The Second one seems to be a poll and comments on the orginal show and tell, I've missed it before... what about the male termination ?

The female seems like a cake walk... :)

sinbad

Don't have code ref for you but the way we do it is with punchdown jack for long runs and usually runs with more than one cables are terminated in same location (ie the patch panel in the rack)
the male RJ45 plug will go on single temporary run.
I always prefer to make a jack if possible. it's few more bucks per outlet but makes everything much neater.

480sparky

I wish I was able to do my punchdowns on a table.

I wasn't aware the little plastic 'dust cover' prevented electrical interference.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... What determines which method is used? The jack?

If you are referring to the green and orange pairs being reversible, the standard is ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1-2001. Configuringing either way is acceptable as long as for "straight through" cabling you wire by the same configuration on both ends. The "B" configuration has been more widely adopted.

Refer to the Ethernet crossover cable link on the web page linked above for information on when connections differ on each end of a cable.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What I am asking is that at the RJ-45(not at the patch panel) there seems to be two ways of making the connection. One where you slide the wires into the jack and crimp and the other is where the wires are punched down at the jack? What determines which method is used? THanks

480sparky

What I am asking is that at the RJ-45(not at the patch panel) there seems to be two ways of making the connection. One where you slide the wires into the jack and crimp and the other is where the wires are punched down at the jack? What determines which method is used? THanks

The method the manufacturer used to design the product.

knickelj

jack or head?

jack or head?

The one that you slide into the RJ45 "HEAD" is for the male type plug. the one you punch down (depends on manufacturer, some use a specialty tool and cut off the extra by hand, some "lay" into slots then clip together) is for the RJ45 jack. Do not confuse the RJ45 head with the jack. The RJ45 jack is installed in the wall (female). The RJ 45 head (male) is on the patch cord that goes from your comp. to the wall. The other end of the in-wall wire CMR or CMP typically would go to a RJ 45 patch panel that is full of jacks. Then another patch cord to the switch.

nyerinfl

The ones where you slide the wires and crimp is a male end connection.

The one where you punch down is a female end connection, you use a 110 punchdown to do this, at a telephone block you would use the 66 punchdown.

Using the males is for making your own patch cables, connecting to a switch or some other similar device, the female is primarily used when terminated into the wall.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm here shaking my head. You DO realize that the first video is how to install a wall JACK and the second is how to install a PLUG? Or am I missing something here?

-Hal

knickelj

and what are you calling RJ45? the jack itself does not determine this. It could be 6 pin, 8 pin, etc.
Where has Hal Biss been???

Correct me if im wrong, but isn't an (Registered Jack) RJ-45 an 8pin, RJ-11 6pin (mostly used as 4 pin standard phone jack). Thereby a cat5e/6 IS a RJ45? The jack for network connections is a RJ 45. They are backward compatible (to some degree). A RJ-11 Head can be pluged into a RJ-45 Jack but there is a good chance you will not be mating the correct condutors through the connectors (slightly crooked will allow them to mate but with crossed pairs).

ty

not really.

it doesn't matter how many pins, it matters how many wires are connected.
It is all in the terminology.

There are 4 basic types of jacks and technicallities:
6-position, 6-position modified, 8-position, and 8-position keyed.
The 6-position can be wire either RJ11C(1-pair), RJ14C(2-pair), or RJ25C(3-pair).
The 8-position can be wired as RJ61C(4-pair) and RJ48C.

From the videos I have been watching it seems there are two ways to terminate at a RJ-45. Pushing the pairs into the jack then crimping or punching down at the jack. What determines which method is used? The jack? THanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxNZoPcnP4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQGdpdT4SpE&feature=related

Demonstrating two different method how a wire may be terminated in an RJ-45 connector or other LV signal terminating points. It is the equipment fabricators choice which TYPE they will use. In general punchdown is used on stationary contacts and crimp is used when the device on the terminated wire requires movement or allowance for self alignment.

Correct me if im wrong, but isn't an (Registered Jack) RJ-45 an 8pin, RJ-11 6pin (mostly used as 4 pin standard phone jack). Thereby a cat5e/6 IS a RJ45? The jack for network connections is a RJ 45. They are backward compatible (to some degree). A RJ-11 Head can be pluged into a RJ-45 Jack but there is a good chance you will not be mating the correct condutors through the connectors (slightly crooked will allow them to mate but with crossed pairs).

An RJ45 is an 8P8C modular jack with a voice-grade CO line connected to pins 4 and 5. A programming resistor is placed across pins 7 and 8 by the jack's installer who has run a loop loss test to determine the loss in determining the value of this resistor. This resistor "tells" the connected modem to adjust it's transmit/receive levels commensurate with the line's loss.

The term RJ45 is a gross misnomer. 8P8C plugs and hardware used for network cabling are not "RJ" anything. The IT professionals out there started calling these plugs and jacks "RJ45" years ago because the plugs look like those used on true RJ45 jacks.

8P8C jacks can be wired in many ways to derive different RJ configurations, from RJ41 through RJ61. Think of this as NEMA configurations for receptacles.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
In general punchdown is used on stationary contacts and crimp is used when the device on the terminated wire requires movement or allowance for self alignment.

Hell, I guess you don't know the difference between a plug and a jack either.

Now I know why my boss always subs this kind of work out

With this kind of "talent" I can see why.

-Hal

MAK

In general punchdown is used on stationary contacts and crimp is used when the device on the terminated wire requires movement or allowance for self alignment.

Hell, I guess you don't know the difference between a plug and a jack either.

Now I know why my boss always subs this kind of work out

With this kind of "talent" I can see why.

-Hal

This is a "Jack"
jack_nicholson_endorsement_for_clinton.jpg

and this is a "Plug"
saab%20spark%20plug.jpg

Did I pass?:D

esobocinski

MAK, I dare ya to punch down that Jack. I dare ya. :D

Reality is that the entire data world and the voice/data installer world both use "RJ45" generically to describe any 8P8C plug or jack. It's been that way for almost three decades. You might still be able to use technically correct terminology within the voice side of a telco, but anywhere else in the world it isn't worth the blank-stare confusion, even for an idealist like me. 8P8C = "RJ45". Just deal with it.

The funny thing to me is that the true RJ45 for high-speed modems (9600 bps synchronous! Woo!) used a plug/jack with an extra keyway in the plastic molds. It isn't compatible with what we now call "RJ45" but really came from RJ48 as used for later T1 and ISDN. Language evolution is weird.

ty, RJ61 is obsolete, even for voice-only wiring. For new work, always use EIA/TIA-568-B. I suggest the T568B variant, just because it's already the most popular and so is less likely to confuse the next installer (who could be you). However, if it's a fed contract, you're required to use T568A. It really doesn't matter as long as you're consistent end-to-end.

(BTW, T568A and T568B are the wiring standards within EIA/TIA-568. The current revision is EIA/TIA-568-B. The previous revision was EIA/TIA-568-A, now obsolete. With mixed terminology like this, they wonder why people get confused?)

nyerinfl, new telco terminations use 110-blocks now too, and have for a while. If your local carrier is still installing 66-blocks, their procedures are fossilized. There's a huge number of existing 66-blocks to deal with, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.