outside work

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky2010

Long time lurker.

I?ve had business for 10 years, and been in the trade double that.

Almost all of my work as a journeyman and business owner has been inside. Think inside wireman. I?ve done some parking lot lights and some open trench under ground, but all that was incidental to the inside work.

When ever I bid a job I use a computer estimating system with labor units. I have gone to a few seminar?s and classes on the subject.

I?ve had an offer to help out an underground/outside electrical contractor in the office and some supervision in the field (not as an operator). This guy does sub-contracting for utility/cable companies, street lights, and intersections.

I know what a shovel looks like and which end goes in the dirt, besides that not so much.

Boring, pushing, and plowing conduit are new ones on me. And how would you put a labor unit to that? Sand, dirt, clay, rock???.!!!???!!! How many bases can one drill in a day?

Does anybody know of any resources or books on under ground work? I?m to have lunch next week and would at least like to be able to have a somewhat two sided conversation.

This guy knows my back ground so I?m not ?pulling one over? on anybody, this came about word of mouth.

Thanks for any help

satcom

Long time lurker.

I?ve had business for 10 years, and been in the trade double that.

Almost all of my work as a journeyman and business owner has been inside. Think inside wireman. I?ve done some parking lot lights and some open trench under ground, but all that was incidental to the inside work.

When ever I bid a job I use a computer estimating system with labor units. I have gone to a few seminar?s and classes on the subject.

I?ve had an offer to help out an underground/outside electrical contractor in the office and some supervision in the field (not as an operator). This guy does sub-contracting for utility/cable companies, street lights, and intersections.

I know what a shovel looks like and which end goes in the dirt, besides that not so much.

Boring, pushing, and plowing conduit are new ones on me. And how would you put a labor unit to that? Sand, dirt, clay, rock???.!!!???!!! How many bases can one drill in a day?

Does anybody know of any resources or books on under ground work? I?m to have lunch next week and would at least like to be able to have a somewhat two sided conversation.

This guy knows my back ground so I?m not ?pulling one over? on anybody, this came about word of mouth.

Thanks for any help
Ok, estimating is easy when you have the experience, getting that knowladge is usually a long term investment, in tracking and recording job actuals, the really good estimators have their own books with accurate actuals and job conditions, the software and computers are only tools to speed the progress, they will not improve bad data, so try to find an actuals book, and you will be on your way. Good luck with the interview.

stevenj76

Think equipment rental.
Gas.
Somebody to take the dirt somewhere else, how far?
Fill, how much? Where to store it?
Compaction, how many times for depth?
Concrete work too?

I heard the guys at the local signal and highway shop here do it ALL!
Drive the excavator, finish the concrete pad, etc.

It is surprising to see how much money site work contractors want for a little trench.

Status
Not open for further replies.