Tie wire to secure conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asked about some conduit runs that was run on unistrut and they used tie wire to secure it. I guess the contractor ran out of 'unistrut straps', LOL. Even though I do NOT like it, I did tell them I dont think its a code violation, because I see tie used on the high beems of the building to secure the conduit. Did I tell them right?? Next time they (contractor) should just be sure they have enough straps!! lol

e57

I was asked about some conduit runs that was run on unistrut and they used tie wire to secure it. I guess the contractor ran out of 'unistrut straps', LOL. Even though I do NOT like it, I did tell them I dont think its a code violation, because I see tie used on the high beems of the building to secure the conduit. Did I tell them right?? Next time they (contractor) should just be sure they have enough straps!! lol

I use tie wire all the time - but on black iron or hanger bars - occasionally scraps of EMT as hanger bars. To some - not familiar with the practice it can look like 'bailing wire' to them... If using it on strut - it looks like a mistake, because there are fittings made for that...

Anyway - having recently had to show someone how to tie-wire - because their concept was not quite snuffy enough for me - and obviously new to them. I see it as a dying skill.... And it's a shame...

mcclary's electrical

I believe it's legal as long as it's done properly. It's not unusual in z bars or engineered trusses.

Status
Not open for further replies.