Low-Voltage Lighting Control Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!
I'm bidding a (ritzy) commercial project for a pro golfer's foundation in Palm Beach, FL.
They are using a Lutron RadioRA (owner provided) system and I'm pretty sure there is no master control panel. There are 6 control stations and several other control devices controlling various line/low voltage lighting.
I have bid/ wired quite a few commercial lighting control panels and the past but their easy to price because the line-voltage circuits are usually controlled right by the panel. This is not the case here and my estimating database has nothing for it.
Line voltage appears to go to each control station which is easy to bid because I can enter each station as a switch but after that there is about a half dozen devices on 3-6 zones, per office.
My online research is indicating about $3-4/sq.ft. installed but again, this is owner-provided.
Does anyone happen to have a good unit or sq.ft. installation price that works for them?

robbione

Radio Ra is 100% line voltage so I unit price each switch or dimmer just like I normaly would and price each keypad using my unit price for a receptacle.
The only change I make is that switches are often located much further from the load - hidden from view in a mechanical closet since the keypads will be used for control. I add $ to the cost of my switchleg for the extra length. Lastly I add whatever I think I can justfy for "coordination and system design". I also justify this adder due to the extra care that needs to be taken at hot check. Figure a minimum or $125 per device if you burn them up by mistake.
Radio Ra does require at least one and possibly several plug-in components; either a "chronos" or a main repeater and sometimes additional repeaters to extend the radio signal. Any receptacle will do, but advance planning for the location of these items is a good idea.
I assume programming is by others?

satcom

Radio Ra is 100% line voltage so I unit price each switch or dimmer just like I normaly would and price each keypad using my unit price for a receptacle.
The only change I make is that switches are often located much further from the load - hidden from view in a mechanical closet since the keypads will be used for control. I add $ to the cost of my switchleg for the extra length. Lastly I add whatever I think I can justfy for "coordination and system design". I also justify this adder due to the extra care that needs to be taken at hot check. Figure a minimum or $125 per device if you burn them up by mistake.
Radio Ra does require at least one and possibly several plug-in components; either a "chronos" or a main repeater and sometimes additional repeaters to extend the radio signal. Any receptacle will do, but advance planning for the location of these items is a good idea.
I assume programming is by others?

When he said sq foot pricing, I think he may be in trouble before he starts.

Thanks for the info robbione and this is more technical question than costing but when you say "100% line-voltage" I'm thinking your saying that because line voltage will go to the keypad and to the fixture anyway, right?
I've tried to sell Radio RA a couple times but never installed one although I'm not too worried about it. The radio simply overrides the local setting of the device right? The design has been done for me by the architect (parts list but not system floor plan) but I thought there was some low voltage wiring involved. They have:
4- QSGRJ-3P-TWH Grafik Eye Master keypad (each office)
2- QSGRJ-4P-TWH keypad
2-QSGRJ-6P-TWH keypad
8- power interface
1- minimum load
2- switching module
5- remote
only 1- RF dimmer
13- occupancy sensors
each office seems to be like a separate house with 3-6 zones and some of the lighting is LED.
The reason I'm boring you with all this is to ask- given all these devices, there is no special, low-voltage wiring? Because I can sure bid it per line-voltage device adding some length to my switch legs.
I'm probably over thinking this but this is not a bunch more labor?

satcom

Thanks for the info robbione and this is more technical question than costing but when you say "100% line-voltage" I'm thinking your saying that because line voltage will go to the keypad and to the fixture anyway, right?
I've tried to sell Radio RA a couple times but never installed one although I'm not too worried about it. The radio simply overrides the local setting of the device right? The design has been done for me by the architect (parts list but not system floor plan) but I thought there was some low voltage wiring involved.
The reason I'm boring you with all this is to ask- given all these devices, there is no special, low-voltage wiring? Because I can sure bid it per line-voltage device adding some length to my switch legs.
I'm probably over thinking this but this is not a bunch more labor?

You are not boring anyone on the forum, we would not be here if we din't want to help, you will have to account for the time spent on the layout and design, and you will most likely need to estimate this using some actual data, and job conditions, not a unit price method.

Yeah the Lutron line-item came out to >16K which seems like a deal breaker to me. My quote for the system was 12K and I figured between .5 / .75 /1 hour per device. They are telling me I do have some low-voltage control wiring too.

Status
Not open for further replies.