Emergency Generator at a Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodonnell

Good day to all. We are working in a hospital in a patient care area. The hospital electricians stopped by our job site today and questioned us on the use of EMT conduit. They want us to use hospital grade M/C cable in the walls for all the circuits. The hospitals specifications calls for the complete installation to be in EMT except with 6' whips for the lighting. I am very happy to change to HCF/MC. I have not completed much work in patient care areas and I was under the impression that M/C cable was un-acceptable for emergency circuits. I have looked into article 517.30 (3) and HCF/MC is in compliance with this, unless I am missing something.

Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Any cable wiring method must have two ground paths. Traditionally hospital grade AC was used, the traditional MC cable does not qualify. But the new MC-Smart with an insulated EGC would. And of course EMT with an EGC would as well.
Personally I would prefer EMT over MC. Allows for changes later.

lakee911

If the specs call for EMT and the electrician says to use something different, I would show him the specs and tell the engineer what the electrican said. Let them sort it out.

raider1

Staff member
If this is wiring for the emergency system take a look at 517.30(C)(3) for mechanical protection of the emergency system.

This section does not permit HCF/AC type of wiring methods except as permitted in 517.30(C)(3)(3).

Chris

Jodonnell

Is there anything in the code that does not allow me to use HCF/MC cable for the circuits being feed by the generator.

the engineer has approved the change. But I want to make sure I can do it per the NEC.

raider1

Staff member
Is there anything in the code that does not allow me to use HCF/MC cable for the circuits being feed by the generator.

the engineer has approved the change. But I want to make sure I can do it per the NEC.

Yes, 517.30(C)(3) except as permitted by 517.30(C)(3)(3) for specific applications.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Good day to all. We are working in a hospital in a patient care area. The hospital electricians stopped by our job site today and questioned us on the use of EMT conduit. They want us to use hospital grade M/C cable in the walls for all the circuits. The hospitals specifications calls for the complete installation to be in EMT except with 6' whips for the lighting.
Follow the specs.
I am very happy to change to HCF/MC. I have not completed much work in patient care areas and I was under the impression that M/C cable was un-acceptable for emergency circuits. I have looked into article 517.30 (3) and HCF/MC is in compliance with this, unless I am missing something.
It is only in compliance if one of the conditions of 517.30(C)(3)(3) is met. Are you having to open up existing walls for this project?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.