Tap rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill or whoever! I'm working on an R&D project to where I would think would save between 38% and 48% labor on installation cost. I'm in the Airport Baggage Industry and have come up with a new channel installation instead of the typical Hoffman installation which is cumbersome, labor intensive, etc. My question to you is if I have let's say 40 2.5 motors on one conveyor which an e-stop at different locations would stop the complete line anyway, why couldn't I use the Tap rule (I don't have my code book in front of me) and what size feeder should I run from the MCP?

mcclary's electrical

Bill or whoever! I'm working on an R&D project to where I would think would save between 38% and 48% labor on installation cost. I'm in the Airport Baggage Industry and have come up with a new channel installation instead of the typical Hoffman installation which is cumbersome, labor intensive, etc. My question to you is if I have let's say 40 2.5 motors on one conveyor which an e-stop at different locations would stop the complete line anyway, why couldn't I use the Tap rule (I don't have my code book in front of me) and what size feeder should I run from the MCP?

If you protect them from overload seperately right after your main feeder tap, you can do what you are proposing. I've done one VFD, supplying one bus panel, starting 32 fan motors.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It sounds like you might need to consider 430.53(C) and (D) for group motor applications as well.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What component would you recommend I install after each Tap?

Do we get a cut of the cost savings if we do the engineering for you ? :)
The component(s)at the tap would have to satisfy the tap rules of 240.21 plus provide proper motor OL per 430 Part III and motor SCGF protection per 430 Part IV.

No! I don't need you to engineer it for me , I was just asking for suggestions!
I've been in the trade for 36 years and hold 3 Master's licenses. I'm limited to 2-1/2" deep X 6" wide of work space in this channel system, so that is what I'm requesting. I may have to add a larger junction box between the tap and motor. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No! I don't need you to engineer it for me , I was just asking for suggestions!
I've been in the trade for 36 years and hold 3 Master's licenses. I'm limited to 2-1/2" deep X 6" wide of work space in this channel system, so that is what I'm requesting. I may have to add a larger junction box between the tap and motor. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Not if you're so rudely going to cut us out of any profits. :roll:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.