abandoned wire & cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

wch

2005 vs. 2008 NEC references: What accessible abandoned wiring & cable is
required to be removed when an existing installation is replaced/renovated?

raider1

Staff member
New to the 2008 are sections:

640.6(C)&(D) (Audio distribution cables)
645.5(F)(G) (IT equipment)
725.25 (Class2 & Class3)
760.25 (Fire alarm cables)
770.25 (Fiber optic cables)
800.25 (Communications Cables)
820.25 (CATV Cables)
830.25 (Network-powered Broadband Communications Cables)

Chris

e57

New to the 2008 are sections:

640.6(C)&(D) (Audio distribution cables)
645.5(F)(G) (IT equipment)
725.25 (Class2 & Class3)
760.25 (Fire alarm cables)
770.25 (Fiber optic cables)
800.25 (Communications Cables)
820.25 (CATV Cables)
830.25 (Network-powered Broadband Communications Cables)

Chris
All of which directly or indirectly refferance 300.21 - which if an inspector wanted to stretch the specific wording could apply it to just about anything... IMO... Recently I had to remove abandoned EMT... ;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Requirement for abandoned cable removal was added to 02 NEC. One could make argument that only cable installed since 02 has to be removed if abandoned.

raider1

Staff member
All of which directly or indirectly refferance 300.21 - which if an inspector wanted to stretch the specific wording could apply it to just about anything... IMO... Recently I had to remove abandoned EMT... ;)

No they don't.

There have been some additions in the articles that address the spread of fire and products of combustion and actually reference 300.21, but they are not part of the XXX.25 sections.

The removal of abandoned cables and the requirements in 300.21 do not apply to each other they are separate issues.

300.21 is dealing with fire stopping penetrations through fire rated assemblies and has nothing to do with removing abandoned wiring IMHO.

Chris

rt66electric

whats the diff?

whats the diff?

Requirement for abandoned cable removal was added to 02 NEC. One could make argument that only cable installed since 02 has to be removed if abandoned.

Why can't you call it a spare circuit for future USE ???
as long as it is capped off in a box w/cover as opposed to cut the pipe and leaving copper visable.......and the pipe dangling at a precarious angle.

WAIT Are we talkin about low voltage wiring or line voltage ???

Volta

Why can't you call it a spare circuit for future USE ???
as long as it is capped off in a box w/cover as opposed to cut the pipe and leaving copper visable.......and the pipe dangling at a precarious angle.

WAIT Are we talkin about low voltage wiring or line voltage ???

Low voltage.

e57

They might try but they would be wrong.

No, IMO you chose to.:)
I sell happiness Bob - happy inspectors - even if they are full of it - are happy customers - and happy customers pay.

Anyway to be clear this was an abandoned - and empty trapeze through a fire wall and he was well within his rights ask it be removed - even if in the event I got the TI there in the furure - it would have been nice to have... But then again - I got paid to remove it - and someone may be paid to put it back some day soon.

No they don't.

There have been some additions in the articles that address the spread of fire and products of combustion and actually reference 300.21, but they are not part of the XXX.25 sections.

The removal of abandoned cables and the requirements in 300.21 do not apply to each other they are separate issues.

300.21 is dealing with fire stopping penetrations through fire rated assemblies and has nothing to do with removing abandoned wiring IMHO.

Chris
What I said was... "All of which directly or indirectly refferance 300.21"

Also - You'll have to excuse me - I swap between the '05 - which I actually use - and the '08 which I often discuss here - which in this instance represents a change I'm glad to know about - there is no XXX.25 in the '05... Abandoned cables are addressed as such in the previous cycle...

820.3 Other Articles. Circuits and equipment shall
comply with 820.3(A)through 820.3(G).
(A) Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion. Section
300.21 shall apply. The accessible portion of abandoned​
coaxial cables shall be removed.
So what I said - was previously true... ;)

and 300.21 was not written with a bruch or roller - Jackson Pollack wrote it would seem.

e57

Which only helped to point out the difference the OP was looking for in this case. Previously all of the sections of cable type methods in chapter 7&8 had wording in XXX.03 or nearby with various wording refferencing 300.21, and then some wording about removal of abandoned cable. Now they are in XXX.25, and wording mirroring 300.21 as XXX.26.

iwire

Staff member
Anyway to be clear this was an abandoned - and empty trapeze through a fire wall and he was well within his rights ask it be removed

No, he was not, it is not his property to throw out.

Please show me a code section that requires this to be removed.

So what I said - was previously true... ;)

and 300.21 was not written with a bruch or roller

Nothing in 300.21 requires anything to be removed.

You are starting to make code up faster than a rogue inspector.:roll::D

Last edited:

e57

No, he was not, it is not his property to throw out.

Please show me a code section that requires this to be removed.

Nothing in 300.21 requires anything to be removed.

You are starting to make code up faster than a rogue inspector.:roll::D
To be clear Bob it was the inspectors 'stretch' - not my own. But it was difficult to argue that it was not a dozen or so 1"-2" holes in a fire wall that served, and may never serve a purpose* - especially since the man has yet to put the pen on the job card.... :D So your alternative is what? (Pull out your sword?) ;)

*panels had been replaced, and the unit they served was gutted - so these were just stubs through the wall 2-4' long supported on strut on both sides.

wch

No they don't.

Chris
Right on.
Thanks for all the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.