Lock type breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Greeting all,
Is it assential by code for fire alarm system breaker should be lock type. I checked NEC artical-760 and could not find. Any other reference.

jumper

NFPA 72, 10.5, says the disconnecting means, not specifically a breaker, shall be marked red and accessible to qualified personnel only. The OCPD shall be suitable for interrupting the maximum short circuit current. I cannot find anything about a lock type breaker being mandatory. I will keep looking.

Keri_WW

I don't believe it will specifically say lockable anywhere in the NFPA. You have to infer that "authorized personnel" means the fire department; in which case the only way to make that possible is to lock the individual breaker (locking the panel / room doesn't suffice).

A few of the local jurisdictions that I work with actually say lockable in their standards/code.

jumper

Keri,

It says "Qualified Personnel" not "Authorized", and defines them as people who certified to design, maintain, and test the systems, not the fire dept.

The only reason I know for installing a locked breaker is so that the breaker cannot be turned off accidentally.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

HE,

How did you end up playing in fire alarm stuff? You are usually into power design.

yeah, I am just doing design work. I have shown in panel board the fire alarm cricuit breaker and now I got comment that it should be lock type. I had no information regarding this before.

jumper

I need to learn to read better.

I need to learn to read better.

Keri,

It says "Qualified Personnel" not "Authorized", and defines them as people who certified to design, maintain, and test the systems, not the fire dept.

The only reason I know for installing a locked breaker is so that the breaker cannot be turned off accidentally.

I was wrong, it does say authorized. Keri was correct. I guess that you authorized if you are qualified.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Thanks jumper, I searched too but could not find any clear word. It means it is not recommended by code anywhere.

In New Jersey, the AHJ's usually point to 4.4.1.4.2.1:

"The dedicated branch circuit(s) and connections shall be mechanically protected."

and make you put a handle lock on the breaker. I know, it seems weak to me, but for $1.50 I'm not going to fight it.

You are right, I go to Afghanistan for sometimes and work. But really I live in Ukraine Kiev with family.

Go it. When you say 'moved', it implies permanency, that's what got me confused.

I't interesting about he NEC use in Afghanistan. If we have so much difficulty, in the US, applying it here and trying to untangle its intent, how could you guys deal with it when it is not even in your language?!

Status
Not open for further replies.