credentials in order to do load calcs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asked if I could provide load calcs for a building that is being renovated from an old auto shop to a art center. I'm wondering if you need to be a PE to do load calcs, or if a Master electrician's license is fine? If a masters is o.k. is it provisional that you do the actual work? Also what would you classify occupancy as on an art center? there will be classes held there and there will be a bunch of welding going on.

thanks for any replys

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Who is permitted to do load calc's varies from [AH]J to J, for starters. Thereafter it can also depend on occupancy type and/or valuation of the installation or changes thereto... perhaps others.

The basic answer is anyone can do load calc's... but we professionals all know an unqualified person is likely to get it wrong ;)

What is the party type of the one requesting the load calc's, such as owner, general contractor, plans examiner, architect, etc.?

The ones asking for load calcs are the owner mainly, and some what the general contractor. They are in a hurry to get a service drop, though the utility told them they needed a load calc. They haven't settled on a EC yet, though I don't think I stand much chance of getting the job due to federal money involved. Its obviously a design/build so there is some uncertainty of what would be installed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... They haven't settled on a EC yet, though I don't think I stand much chance of getting the job due to federal money involved. Its obviously a design/build so there is some uncertainty of what would be installed.
Design/build load calcs are hard... with the uncertainty of what will be installed and the pulling of teeth to get the proper and adequate information. Hopefully there is something in it for you, especially if you are doubtful of being awarded the contract. Also, if you do the calc', make sure your butt is covered through an errors and omissions statement of some sort.

As for occupancy type, possibly [Place of General] Assembly. But if government money is involved with the classes, it could be Educational.

stevenje

If there is federal money involved, I am surprised that there is not a full set of prints with a spec book to match. If I was an EC bidding this job I would sure like to know on paper (full prints and spec book), on what I was bidding and who did the calculations and drawings.

cpal

I've been asked if I could provide load calcs for a building that is being renovated from an old auto shop to a art center. I'm wondering if you need to be a PE to do load calcs, or if a Master electrician's license is fine? If a masters is o.k. is it provisional that you do the actual work? Also what would you classify occupancy as on an art center? there will be classes held there and there will be a bunch of welding going on.

thanks for any replys

Where Re you located
In Mass a PE is required after 35k Cu Ft (I Think)

Status
Not open for further replies.