Counter overhang Island or penisula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

if you can always find a means to comply, then you should not be granting special permission, IMO i do not think an angle bracket would extend the support base, adding another base cabinet would to reduce the overhang or here is a better idea communication before cutting that hole for the receptacle, does not seem that hard to me

Sure the ability to comply exists. I've often suggested the installation of a pendant receptacle if other means weren't easy. I never expected anybody to consider actually doing that, as a kitchen is one of most key rooms in a family's house. What the finished area looks like is very important to them, Code is important to us, and unusual methods are sometimes needed.

But some compromises can still meet the intent of the Code, and the letter. I don't particularly like the idea of a hole in the counter. I would prefer to have Plugmold installed under the counter within a couple inches of the edge. Neither would comply with 210.52(C) in this instance, but if "equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety" by using these "alternative methods", then 90.4 will allow the enforcement official to accept it in writing.

electricmanscott

Sure the ability to comply exists. I've often suggested the installation of a pendant receptacle if other means weren't easy. I never expected anybody to consider actually doing that, as a kitchen is one of most key rooms in a family's house. What the finished area looks like is very important to them, Code is important to us, and unusual methods are sometimes needed.

But some compromises can still meet the intent of the Code, and the letter. I don't particularly like the idea of a hole in the counter. I would prefer to have Plugmold installed under the counter within a couple inches of the edge. Neither would comply with 210.52(C) in this instance, but if "equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective safety" by using these "alternative methods", then 90.4 will allow the enforcement official to accept it in writing.

I'm with you 100%. If we just exercised a little common sense things would probably go a little more smoothly.

ohmbre

1st of all let me say that this is my first time posting here. Great site!
Here's what I've suggested on say a free standing Island 12" overhang on (3) sides. I'll allow the placement of a receptacle under one of the 12' overhangs as long as It's held as close as possible to the front side (drawer side) of the island.
It's still not perfect put it allows the 18" appliance cord to reach the outlet without having to drill a hole though the counter top (Hackish).
The only problem that arises is that the drawer may sometimes be to close to the cord.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
1st of all let me say that this is my first time posting here. Great site!
Here's what I've suggested on say a free standing Island 12" overhang on (3) sides. I'll allow the placement of a receptacle under one of the 12' overhangs as long as It's held as close as possible to the front side (drawer side) of the island.
It's still not perfect put it allows the 18" appliance cord to reach the outlet without having to drill a hole though the counter top (Hackish).
The only problem that arises is that the drawer may sometimes be to close to the cord.

Welcome to the forum.

mpd

"No matter how detailed the building code may be, the building official must, to some extent, exercise his or her own judgment in determining code compliance."

From: http://www.com.ohio.gov/dico/docs/bbst_UnderstandingtheCodes.pdf

this section seems pretty clear, why would you need to exercise judgment or be granting special permission in this case, if the overhang does not comply, it fails, the common sense to me is communication between the electrician & kitchen designer

russ

Counter overhang Island or penisula.

Well the code change has been written to allow this in our city in the future.
Have to wait for the lawyers to put in city ordinance numbers to reference it.
Then the city consul has to approve it, along with some other changes being made.
I'm sure many builders would rather not have holes drilled in the counter tops, but it will soon be an amendment to the code, option.

Status
Not open for further replies.