Power requirements for a band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Does anyone know the average power requirement for a band production? This would be an outdoor setting, keyboard, electric guitars,amps, microphones and show lighting. Thanks!
No way to tell for certain without numbers. It can be done on as little as a single 120V 15A outlet for say a small back-yard event with a couple, three amps (i.e. amplifiers) and a few lights. From there it can only go up :D

dbuckley

Size of gig is very important, a back yard is different to a stadium gig.

The size also varies how much support the house needs to provide to the production; the bigger productions are easier as they are well sorted, and all they'll want is you to deliver power, and they'll do the rest. With smaller shows the production may make their electrical problems into your problems.

Edited to add: if this is a significant size show with full production, ask the Production Manager for the "Tech Rider" - that should have exactly what the production expects you to provide. You'll probably be required to initial that you can provide whats being asked for. But dont be surprised if the rider is a lie, particularly if its one that you've aquired not directly from the PM, such as from the Promoter...

For an example of a tech rider (cue quick google), see here.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member

For an example of a tech rider (cue quick google), see here.
Regarding that tech rider, this power requirement sticks out like a sore thumb...
33.3 SOUND: 100 AMP per leg, single phase with 115V between neutral and either
hot leg under full load. Ground services, not directly connected to the neutral
wire, will be provided for the sound power service.

Ah, yes. Band-speak is not electrician-speak. Did you notice that they want sound and lights to be seperate "services"? I think all they mean is that the neutral and EGC not be connected at the disconnect, which they shouldn't be, anyway.

BTW, some recording trucks do take 208/240v and only use the ungrounded leads. They go into an on-truck isolation transformer, which is then (usually) correctly bonded to the truck's gounding system and to a rod or two.

ty

The band's stage amps could theoretically all be on (1) 15amp circuit. Even with Marshall Stacks, Keys, Bass rig, etc. The band would have to have ALOT(excessive) equipment to really need more than that.
That said, it would be nice to have (2) circuits for stage amps.

The largest draw would normally be lighting and low end power amps.

One system that I run for indoor and outdoor uses is this:
-(1) FOH mixer and rack
-(2) Low end power amps @2400w each
-(2) mid/high power amps @1500w each
-(1) monitor mixer w/ 1000w total monitor amps

If possible I try to get (3) circuits just for this PA, although it will run on (2). I would not run this system on (1) circuit, especially Outdoors for sake of pumping the system, it would risk tripping a breaker.

The lighting could be simple and use (1) circuit, to massive.

I also carry a 100amp power distro with (16) dedicated circuits, if needed.

Now, this all depends on band needs, as well.
Some bands use in ear monitors which can cut down on monitor amps, and some use Pods, or other guitar amp simulators as well as in-ear monitors. All of these type of things can change what power requirements you will need.

ItsHot

Thank You!

Thank You!

Thank you for the help and information! :) Was curious about a job a few months from now. I will need to get with the performance production and find out about specific needs! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.