grounding of nuetral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the bonding brass screw in the 100amp meter and panel used for bonding the nuetral or what , as I have been called on it by the inspector . What is its purpose?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're referring to the main bonding jumper then the screw should be green in color not brass.

250.28 Main Bonding Jumper and System Bonding Jumper.
For a grounded system, main bonding jumpers and system bonding jumpers shall be installed as follows:
(A) Material. Main bonding jumpers and system bonding jumpers shall be of copper or other corrosion-resistant material. A main bonding jumper and a system bonding jumper shall be a wire, bus, screw, or similar suitable conductor.
(B) Construction. Where a main bonding jumper or a system bonding jumper is a screw only, the screw shall be identified with a green finish that shall be visible with the screw installed.

TobyD

I think you may have a small copper strap inside the panel that needs to be bonded to the cabinet and grounded condutor terminal strip.I normally see a screw that's used to bond the panel and grounding conductor.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Look up the Article 100 Definition of Bonding Jumper, Main. Its the single most important part of an electrical system. On the load side, we have a separate green and white wire. The MBJ ties the white and green wires together at the service. (The meter has the same bonding)
On the line side of the service (POCO side) we have a white wire with an imaginary green stripe.
The MBJ is a critical part of the fault current path. Without it the electrons can't return to their source if there is a line to case fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.