UNgrounded System

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Customer wants a 480 volt ungrounded system.
The only pad transformers POCO has are 480Y/277. To satisfy the customers request POCO elects no leave XO at the pad totally disconnected (no bond strap, no ground rod).
Any problem ?

iwire

Staff member
I believe it is fine and I think Charlie E the utility guy mentioned that was something the POCO he works for does it.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The only pad transformers POCO has are 480Y/277. To satisfy the customers request POCO elects no leave XO at the pad totally disconnected (no bond strap, no ground rod).
Any problem ?

As I read 250.20 (B) (1) through (3), no.

This is worth pursuing beyond one section, though.

Anyone with precedence willing to chime in??

Volta

Any problem ?

And no neutral conductor in the lateral, right? No need for 277v?

Is it large enough to think of 230.95 GFP?

Probably not our concern, but does 'no ground rod' include the tranformer enclosure?

dbuckley

Probably not our concern, but does 'no ground rod' include the tranformer enclosure?
I would say no; the transformer metalwork should be grounded (albeit probably not very well if its just a couple of rods) to prevent the tranny itself from becoming a hazard. Likely to become energized and all that jazz.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I would suggest that the customer consider a resistance grounded system rather than an ungrounded system.

You have the same restrictions (line-line loads only, proper supervision, ground fault detection) and the same benefits (a single fault doesn't cause things to trip out) but you get the additional benefit of providing a solid voltage reference. During some types of faults on ungrounded systems you can get extremely high phase to ground voltage, which can damage other parts of the system.

-Jon

jamesoftn

The transformer has ground rodS at the transformer itself. These are the only ones. NO Electrodes at the building.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The transformer has ground rodS at the transformer itself. These are the only ones. NO Electrodes at the building.
The code requires a grounding electrode system at the building. The only real difference in the grounding rules for grounded and ungrounded systems is that the grounded system has a main bonding jumper and the ungrounded system does not.

pfalcon

I would suggest that the customer consider a resistance grounded system rather than an ungrounded system.

You have the same restrictions (line-line loads only, proper supervision, ground fault detection) and the same benefits (a single fault doesn't cause things to trip out) but you get the additional benefit of providing a solid voltage reference. During some types of faults on ungrounded systems you can get extremely high phase to ground voltage, which can damage other parts of the system.

-Jon

As Jon suggested. High Impedance Wye.
As a follow up they will also need to establish a building ground grid which is not trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.