Electrical dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornbread

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but in the past you folks have been most gracious in answering some off topic questions. I want to know how some of folks have your electrical dept. organized. If you had your choice how would you organize an electrical department? I?m trying to convince our upper management that we need to change our organization. I won?t go into details but we have 3 different electrical groups all reporting to different managers. I?m old school and I would like to see all the electrical folks report to one supervisor (electrical guru). As always I appreciate your input.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Just to prevent this from heading a different direction than you had intended (see NOTE below), please clarify one thing: Electrical what? Engineering design group? Electrical inspection group? Electrical contractor company?

NOTE (But first a WARNING - More "Beck Philosophy" ahead - Run away while you still can): The phrase "hit the ground running" is commonly used, and I think it is used too freely. For if at the moment your feet hit the ground, your torso is pointing in the wrong direction, then you are going to spend some amount of time running the wrong way!

mcclary's electrical

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but in the past you folks have been most gracious in answering some off topic questions. I want to know how some of folks have your electrical dept. organized. If you had your choice how would you organize an electrical department? I’m trying to convince our upper management that we need to change our organization. I won’t go into details but we have 3 different electrical groups all reporting to different managers. I’m old school and I would like to see all the electrical folks report to one supervisor (electrical guru). As always I appreciate your input.

I agree that a 3 mananger team will NEVER work. I am a fan of the good old fashion Military chain of command. Everyone is accountable for their own actions.

I'm only guessing as to how your departments are broke up, but I would really NOT recommend having a different crew trimming out than the crew who roughed it in. If you do this all the time, the rough in crew doesn't care as much, because they are not the one trimming it out. And the trim out crew will not care as much because you will not be able to hold them accountable for trim out time, since they can blame it on the rough in crew. You can have multiple crews, and multiple working leadmen, but ONE BOSS, and each crew trims out their own work. And notice I said working leadman, not supervisors. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

zog

Just to prevent this from heading a different direction than you had intended (see NOTE below), please clarify one thing: Electrical what? Engineering design group? Electrical inspection group? Electrical contractor company?

NOTE (But first a WARNING - More "Beck Philosophy" ahead - Run away while you still can): The phrase "hit the ground running" is commonly used, and I think it is used too freely. For if at the moment your feet hit the ground, your torso is pointing in the wrong direction, then you are going to spend some amount of time running the wrong way!

Pretty sure cornbread is in a large industrial facility. So his electrical department has to deal with safety managers, plant managers, operations managers, shift managers, production managers, engineering managers, etc... far from a military style chain of command, real complex structure, make it even worse if it is union and you have that factor too.

I spent the majority of my career dealing with this type of facility and implementing maintneance and safety plans. Am I right here cornbread?

cadpoint

Pretty sure cornbread is in a large industrial facility. So his electrical department has to deal with safety managers, plant managers, operations managers, shift managers, production managers, engineering managers, etc... far from a military style chain of command, real complex structure, make it even worse if it is union and you have that factor too.

I spent the majority of my career dealing with this type of facility and implementing maintneance and safety plans. Am I right here cornbread?

Sounds just like the major university that just won one of the men's national championships.

They have three dept's.; on campus facilities, medical facilities, and their own High Voltage Department, this HVD also runs and maintains there own feeders and trannie's, through out the whole campus.

They also produce there own power on campus.

I agree that a 3 mananger team will NEVER work. I am a fan of the good old fashion Military chain of command. Everyone is accountable for their own actions.

I'm only guessing as to how your departments are broke up, but I would really NOT recommend having a different crew trimming out than the crew who roughed it in. If you do this all the time, the rough in crew doesn't care as much, because they are not the one trimming it out. And the trim out crew will not care as much because you will not be able to hold them accountable for trim out time, since they can blame it on the rough in crew. You can have multiple crews, and multiple working leadmen, but ONE BOSS, and each crew trims out their own work. And notice I said working leadman, not supervisors. Just my opinion.

Maintenance, Design and Construction could each be a separate group with groiup leaders, but the should report to one manager.

If it is the same functionality, like maintenance, there may be separate groups to take care of different geographical areas of the plant or divided by functionality, MV distr, LV distr, Lighting/Grounding/Communications/Control, etc. Each of those subgroups may be reporting to a common manager.

zog

Sounds just like the major university that just won one of the men's national championships.

They have three dept's.; on campus facilities, medical facilities, and their own High Voltage Department, this HVD also runs and maintains there own feeders and trannie's, through out the whole campus.

They also produce there own power on campus.

Yep, know those HV guys ther very well. Do a ton of stuff for them.

AV ELECTRIC

To make major changes to a system already in place can be difficult . If the business or organization is profitable and getting things done in a timely manner convincing your supervisors to change would be unlikely . if the company or organization is in distress they would probably entertain new ideas. Remember you are talking about eliminating peoples jobs some may not appreciate that concept.

cornbread

I am working for a large company. The reason I am suggesting change is I'm having trouble getting all departments on board with 70E. The maint. electricians are on board with 70E, the crew that does the majority of our installation is resisting and since they report to a different manager its very painful getting them on board. I also have troubles with the engineering group, I'm trying to help them design electrical systems with 70E in mind. Again a different manager and more pain. I also have a relaiblity group that I'm working, again more pain. In my lil world, I like the straight line approach, where we have an "electrcial" manager that can set directions, a manager that can resolve disputes, a manager that set a course for the future.

AV ELECTRIC

It appears you are trying to deal with each department on an individual basis . let your superiors know what you are trying to implement and get a conference between all the managers and supervisors who have control over these departments . Talk it out you must put on your negotiating hat and let everyone know why this is important. Our system cant provide for perfect efficiency or come close do to the fact half the population would be sitting at home .

hardworkingstiff

I am working for a large company. The reason I am suggesting change is I'm having trouble getting all departments on board with 70E. The maint. electricians are on board with 70E, the crew that does the majority of our installation is resisting and since they report to a different manager its very painful getting them on board. I also have troubles with the engineering group, I'm trying to help them design electrical systems with 70E in mind. Again a different manager and more pain. I also have a relaiblity group that I'm working, again more pain. In my lil world, I like the straight line approach, where we have an "electrcial" manager that can set directions, a manager that can resolve disputes, a manager that set a course for the future.

The managers of these groups report to someone, that's the person you need to get on board. Sell that person and let them dictate cooperation.

pfalcon

Cornbread,
I have the same type of issues with my facility. Actually moving them to the -70E is one of the easier tasks. Start by bypassing all these departmental managers. Do your own personal audit of the facility and machines noting OSHA 1910 safety violations citing book, chapter, verse. Check the press for OSHA fines and penalties for similar violations. Then present the set to the safety department.

Once the safety department gets wound up over the OSHA 1910 violations you can then present to them that OSHA is the -70E's prior code cycle. Suggest that if they enforce the current -70E that it gives them 4 years to get compliant before OSHA can tag them. Then give them a couple -70E violations you've found that will hit them during the next OSHA update. Remind them about how long it took (takes) to get Arc Flash and PPE compliant; which may very well be a current violation at your site with big fines lurking in the distance.

Luck and Patience to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.