equipment bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

corona

i have a meter base and main disconnect in a panel back to back with a distribution panel. the two inch nipple connecting them has bonding bushings on either side. i have screwed down a lug in both panels with a ten thirty two screw and i have a bare number six landing at all four points. does this number six also need to leave either of the panels and go off to one of the the grounding rods ? there is a separate grounding wire also bonded to both panels, one end of which picks up the three pipes at the water heater and the other end of which goes to the two grounding rods placed more than six feet apart . its a two hundred amp set up and the longer wire that goes to the water heater and the rods is a number four. i didnt want to wrangle it through the lugs on the bonding bushings either end of the nipple. seems like i should be able to get away with this. the equipment is all bonded solidly.. what do you think/know? thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the voltage? If it's under 250 volts you do not need any bonding bushings or bonding jumpers on the load side of the service disconnect. Over 250 volts you may or may not need them depending on the KO type.

mcclary's electrical

i have a meter base and main disconnect in a panel back to back with a distribution panel. the two inch nipple connecting them has bonding bushings on either side. i have screwed down a lug in both panels with a ten thirty two screw and i have a bare number six landing at all four points. does this number six also need to leave either of the panels and go off to one of the the grounding rods ? there is a separate grounding wire also bonded to both panels, one end of which picks up the three pipes at the water heater and the other end of which goes to the two grounding rods placed more than six feet apart . its a two hundred amp set up and the longer wire that goes to the water heater and the rods is a number four. i didnt want to wrangle it through the lugs on the bonding bushings either end of the nipple. seems like i should be able to get away with this. the equipment is all bonded solidly.. what do you think/know? thanks

Around here, the DOMINION crew would rip out the bond you put on the meter can with 10/32.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe your grounding electrode conductor needs to land in the disconnect or anywhere on the supply side of the disconnect and not the sub panel.

If it is continuous unbroken length through the subpanel and through the raceway bushings as you describe this should be acceptable.

Assuming that you do not have incoming metal water service pipe since you are running ground wire to water heater area otherwise you need to run it to within 5 ft of water service entry.

If only interior piping is a metallic system you need to size the bonding conductor according to 250.66 but you can bond at any accessable location. For your 200 amp service #6 is most likely too small.

If it is isolated section of metal pipe it may not need bonding or can be bonded by equipment grounding conductor of the circuit likely to energize it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A day spent Reading Art 250 might be advisable.
All of your grounding electrode conductors should terminate as described in 250.24(A)(1). This means they must be connected in or ahead of your service disconnect and connected to the grounded conductor or grounded conductor buss. Ground electrode conductors connected to the enclosures are not acceptable here.
Because of the requirements of 250.62 and other articles, it's probably best to route your grounding electrdoe conductors from the service without passing thru your inside panel, but also keep in mind the neutrals & equipmemt grounds must be kept separate on any panel other than your service panel.
If your metal water pipe is a grounding electrode then the above paragraph applies. If you are simply bonding it, then that conductor can attach to the enclosure {see 250.104(A)}, but it must be the service enclosure (or other points indicated), not the interior panel.
As infinity mentioned, if the system is 250 volts are less and there is an overcuurent device outside, no bonding bushings are needed to bond the interior panel if the conduit system is secure.
If you do happen to route your grounding electrodes from the outside panel to the water, etc. through that same nipple, then busings would be needed per 250.62(E).
Your grounding electrode conductors would need to be sized per 250.66 based on your service conductor size.

Last edited:

corona

bonding

bonding

thanks for your words. the inspector went for it. i wish i could post a drawing of it. it never seems to be clear enough with out an image. i still am not sure if i described to you what i have actually installed, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.