Wires in parallel for oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincb

Can you run wires in parellel for a double oven? I ran into a situation where there were two sets of #12 ran for a 40A circut and not quite sure if its ok.

lincb

It was previously two singles and the guy who installed the new double had just combined the existing wires and upped the breaker to a 40

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It was previously two singles and the guy who installed the new double had just combined the existing wires and upped the breaker to a 40

It would probably work fine forever but it is a code violation.

Roger

dbuckley

Even if paralleling was permissible, which it isn't because of the wire size, there's the other matter of identical lengths, construction, thermal state etc, and I suspect that a couple of independently run #12s are unlikley to be of identical length, so they shouldn't be paralleled on that basis either.

Conclusion: its a bad job.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Even if paralleling was permissible, which it isn't because of the wire size, there's the other matter of identical lengths, construction, thermal state etc, and I suspect that a couple of independently run #12s are unlikley to be of identical length, so they shouldn't be paralleled on that basis either.

Conclusion: its a bad job.

But, if it weren't for 240.8 we could just add another breaker on the same leg to feed one of the conductors and we could call it a double fed ring circuit. :grin:

Roger

broadgage

The use of two conductors in paralel is a clear violation of the NEC but is most unlikely to be dangerous in practice.
Here in the UK it would be permitted in many circumstances, and whilst codes and regulations vary, the laws of physics are the same everywhere.

dbuckley

The use of two conductors in paralel is a clear violation of the NEC but is most unlikely to be dangerous in practice.
Thats the kicker. Anyone with sufficient nouse can figure out that this is probably OK, and anyone with a clamp meter can check that it is actually paralleleing and loadsharing reasonably well, and thus it is (in practice) an adequately safe arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.