Are bushings required

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Do short sections of raceways such as EMT stubbed thru floors require adapters and bushings to protect the NM Cable or is it permissible to simply ream the EMT? :-?

mcclary's electrical

Do short sections of raceways such as EMT stubbed thru floors require adapters and bushings to protect the NM Cable or is it permissible to simply ream the EMT? :-?

You need a bushing to change from EMT to NM. The code used to read, "fitting". It didn't say what kind. But now you actually have to have the right fitting

takelly

300.15 (C) Protection. A box or conduit body shall not be required where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing that is used to provide cable support or protection against physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion.

kwired

Electron manager
Working off memory,,,,334.15,,,,b,,, i think calls for EMT

314.42 calls for bushing

I think there's another in there somewhere

314.42 is about flexible cords passing through covers in outlet boxes or conduit bodies, does not apply to OP.

334.15 (B) says that exposed NM cable shall be protected from physical damage and that EMT is allowed for this purpose. It says nothing about protection at the end of the sleeve from abrasion.

300.15 (C) Protection. A box or conduit body shall not be required where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing that is used to provide cable support or protection against physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion.

300.15 (C) states that a box or conduit body is not required and that a fitting shall be provided on the end of the protective sleeve to protect the cable from abrasion.

Article 100 definition of fitting:

Fitting. An accessory such as a locknut, bushing, or other part of a wiring system that is intended primarily to perform a mechanical rather than an electrical function.

As far as I am concerned the NEC does not require any specific method of protection from abrasion just that the protection is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.