Track Light Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

2 questions:

Has anybody worked with any quality LED track lighting? We have a customer that is interested in replacing/upgrading some existing 15-year old track lights.

The HO took his track head to box store to see about replacing lamps with halogen floods and associate said heads were not rated for halogen. Can a R30 (or similar) not be replaced with a halogen? Does the fixture need to be specifficly listed for halogen use?

Thanks.

scotteng

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Look at Amerlux C2TV heads. 20W LED. We've been using them in some markets and the client seems to like them. Saves energy too over MH, Incandescent and Halogen.

In general, you cannot replace one lamp source/type for another in a perticular track head. They are designed around the lamp to get the lighting patter desired. Heads that use lamps with internal reflectors can use various lamps with different beam spreads within the same "family" of lamp, such as MR16 lamps with different distribution patterns (spot, narrow, wide, etc).

Hope that helps...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thom, that's a good question. I always worked under the idea that it didn't matter halogen or not but some trims in recessed cans do list whether it will accept R vs Par lamps. Basically if it accepts a par lamp I don't think it matters if it is halogen or incandescent. I think most halogens are Par lamps but not positive about that.

360Youth

In general, you cannot replace one lamp source/type for another in a perticular track head. They are designed around the lamp to get the lighting patter desired. Heads that use lamps with internal reflectors can use various lamps with different beam spreads within the same "family" of lamp, such as MR16 lamps with different distribution patterns (spot, narrow, wide, etc).

Hope that helps...

It was not a design issue, the associate told HO that the head would not hold up to the heat of the halogen.

Basically if it accepts a par lamp I don't think it matters if it is halogen or incandescent. I think most halogens are Par lamps but not positive about that.

That was my thinking, but HO has the track head and associated label, so I was curious who may have run across the same situation.

Thanks to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.