Nat'l Gas Piping to ceiling Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEC

Old homes in DC had natural gas lighting fixtures. The piping is still embedded in walls and ceiling area. When electricity started to be used, the boxes are now used for electric fixtures. The smell of gas is still in the piping which is still connected to ceiling boxes. What are the concerns, comments or any code related issues about this set-up?

mcclary's electrical

Old homes in DC had natural gas lighting fixtures. The piping is still embedded in walls and ceiling area. When electricity started to be used, the boxes are now used for electric fixtures. The smell of gas is still in the piping which is still connected to ceiling boxes. What are the concerns, comments or any code related issues about this set-up?

When the box is not being used as a fuel burnung appliance, and electric is now used, the piping should be removed from the box.

PetrosA

When you say "the smell of gas is still in the piping" do you mean before or after removing the cap from the gas pipe?

I once changed a few lights for my mom in Boston and she had a gas pipe at each pancake. I found out real fast that the gas company had never (in close to 80 years) shut the valve to the old gas lighting service. They got out there real quick that day and all I could think was how happy I was that I hadn't tried to use a sawzall on the thing...

cadpoint

You are not smelling natural GAS, you are smelling the additive that they add to natural GAS to know that it's being released. (The Rotten Egg smell)

This is a a very bad situation, you need to make it a null situation in respects to the electrical aspects involved or in respects of GAS being even released or even with-in a nose smell. (period)

I'll assume that it's threaded pipe, there's a natural GAS Leak involved, the house is drafty, IE poor insulation and not sealed windowed, walls, or about anywhere in the structure!

This needed to be corrected (period) !

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I once changed a few lights for my mom in Boston and she had a gas pipe at each pancake. I found out real fast that the gas company had never (in close to 80 years) shut the valve to the old gas lighting service. They got out there real quick that day and all I could think was how happy I was that I hadn't tried to use a sawzall on the thing...

We still have old homes with active gas pipes and ceiling pancakes. Just something you need to be away of before you remove the cap on the pipe or break out the Sawzall. :roll:

stew

the additive in the gas is ethyl mercaptan. In its natural form it is a tannish sticky kinda stuff. It is added to lp cyls to maintain the smell and to main tanks in distribution systems. that smell will remain literally forever in those pipes . Any low spot where moisture accumulates it will be a black oozy stinky mess. If you look at your gas syatem to your furnace you will notice usually a 4 inch nipple just ahead of the gas control. This is the drip leg and if you ever take one of these apart for any reason dont get the black stuff on your hands or you will need sandpaper to get rid of the smell.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know why the smell is there but in NYC there were many of the old gas lights converted to electricity. The piping remained but I assumed it was all disconnected.

cadpoint

Natural Gas is colorless and oderless, the additive is to know that it is leaking.

This additive came about; due to a High School explosion back in the early 1900's in Texas! (as I recall)...

Last edited:
And if your house ever had gaslights, most gas companies (GaCo?) will happily come out and disconnect them at no charge. Quickly. They don't want the bad publicity from a gas explosion. (Some GaCo's will also do free safety checks on request.)

Status
Not open for further replies.