314.23(f)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garryshay

314.23(F) Raceway supported enclosures, with devices, luminaires, or lampholders.
I clearly get this until I read the exceptions. Especially exception #2 and all of the conditions that have to be met in order for the exception to apply.
Basically the contractors are running 3/4 conduit down vertical I-beams on unistrut, and installing a mallable iron device box/enclosure for an exit sign. They are extending the box/enclosure anywhere from 20" to 24" past the last conduit support. I would like to see them install a "dead leg" nipple out of the bottom of these boxes and secure it to an additional unistrut support. Can someone help me clarify this? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the fixture meets the requirements in (c)(d) & (e) the install would appear to comply without the "dead leg"

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
keep in mind thats an opinion. Hopefully you will hear others.

OTT2

Basically the contractors are running 3/4 conduit down vertical I-beams on unistrut, and installing a mallable iron device box/enclosure for an exit sign. They are extending the box/enclosure anywhere from 20" to 24" past the last conduit support. I would like to see them install a "dead leg" nipple out of the bottom of these boxes and secure it to an additional unistrut support. Can someone help me clarify this? Thanks

OK I'll bite, but I've got a couple of questions.

1. Is the conduit Rigid or IMC or???

2. From your description I am guessing that this box is supported by only one conduit. Is this correct?

Exception No. 2 is lenghty but if you go through and check each one off you may answer this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.