Continuity of Metal Raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbeard

In a new fluorescent lighting installation in an industrial environement, rigid conduit was installed. The 4' light fixtures are non metalic. Section 300.10 talks about the conduit being metallically joined together for a continuous electrical path. The conduit is separated by the light fixture from one end to the other and there is no bonding between the conduits across the non metalic light fixtures. However, the electrician bonded the conduit to the building steel. This seems like a high impedance path to ground and may not safely conduct any fault current to the overcurrent device. The electrical inspector says this installation is ok. I don't think it meets code. What say you?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
art. 250.132 talks about short sections of pipe

250.132 Short Sections of Raceway.
Isolated sections of metal raceway or cable armor, where required to be grounded, shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor in accordance with 250.134.
300.10 tells us to metallically join them. You could use a bonding bushing on each end of the conduit but the EGC must be used not the building steel. The EGC could be the emt.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
8 fixtures, with rigid conduit between them and no direct bonding. Conduit bonded to I-Beam of building.

Did he run a jumper to the steel from one segment and jump across the fixtures or did he run individual jumpers to the steel from each segment of conduit?

rbeard

Did he run a jumper to the steel from one segment and jump across the fixtures or did he run individual jumpers to the steel from each segment of conduit?

No jumpers were used. He used a conduit clamp that supports the conduit to the I-beam for bonding.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as the conduit is concerned, In reality, there is probbaly no problem. "Code wise" it's a violation.
However, I don't recall a flourescent fixture than didn't have some part that needed grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.