Receptacles in Fume hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Recently did a lab project. Received NIH comments back one of which was that I had not shown receptacles in a fume hood.

This led me to wonder if this is a requirement or merely something that typically is required.

Does anyone happen to know?

Thanks,

Mike

jumper

I cannot tell you what is required, but all the fume hoods in our Chemistry labs have receptacles built into them.

If the fume hoods you have do not have recs built into them, it may be a requirement to install them for when people need electric burners or test equipment. Don't want cords strung everywhere.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In all of my recent projects, they were provided by the fume hood manufacturer. I only showed a single point of connection (for 120 volt power) on the drawings, and the lab planner's specifications required the manufacturer to include the lights, fans, receptacles, and all internal wiring up to that connection point.

jumper

In all of my recent projects, they were provided by the fume hood manufacturer. I only showed a single point of connection (for 120 volt power) on the drawings, and the lab planner's specifications required the manufacturer to include the lights, fans, receptacles, and all internal wiring up to that connection point.
I will have to check tomorrow, IIRC our units have a 2 120v circuits. Fan and lights on one circuit and receptacles on the other.

cadpoint

These hoods can be five to six foot long, why not the consideration of / for power!

They might spin the item or weight it or float it back and forth...

PS: cut sheet... :)

jdrichy

recently remodeled a university chem lab. they had large fume hoods (4'x6') with 1 gfci plug on face of hood. we put wire mold below the fume hood opening that had 4 or 5 plugs in it. so its not a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.