Salary $$ question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Twenty years ago I was making $14 p/hr, but that was also with a two year pay freeze. My guess is that it should be somewhere around $20-25, but I doubt it.

__dan

Emcor or CBRE

Emcor or CBRE

You're probably looking at Emcor or CBRE for commercial maintenance, search their company websites for openings. I would guess the pay is in the 20's for "operating engineers" = building maintenance techs. A lot of big tier 1 companies outsource their property management to Emcor . CBRE . JLL so the job postings include class A office space, landmark buildings, and data centers. Not a bad place to hide until something better comes along.

http://careers.cbre.com/Search+and+Apply/

jumper

Any "facilities maintenance" electricians here?

Yep.

Twenty years ago I was making $14 p/hr, but that was also with a two year pay freeze. My guess is that it should be somewhere around $20-25, but I doubt it.

Depends where you work, what your responsibilities are, and what are your qualifications are.

An industrial controls tech, commercial electrical tech, and a jantitor/handyman changing lamps are three different things.

satcom

Facilities maintenance electricians, pay will vary from company to company and experience of electricians, but on average in my area they earn 24 to 30hr plus benifits.

Last edited:

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
We are IBEW. Place I retired from will be at $33.30/hr. in July. Beni's were great too. We had either 12 or 13 paid holidays, 12 sick days that you could accrue up to 6 months, short term disability pay was at 100% for six months then long term took over at 75%. Vacations were 2 weeks, 3 weeks at 5 years, 4 weeks at 10 years. There was more but that's enough to let you guys know that there are some good maintenance jobs out there for electricians.

mtfallsmikey

You're probably looking at Emcor or CBRE for commercial maintenance, search their company websites for openings. I would guess the pay is in the 20's for "operating engineers" = building maintenance techs. A lot of big tier 1 companies outsource their property management to Emcor . CBRE . JLL so the job postings include class A office space, landmark buildings, and data centers. Not a bad place to hide until something better comes along.

Depends on the city too...Metro D.C. area here is probably higher paying than a lot of others, especially higher w/sec. clearance. CBRE really wants HVAC people, they don't like to spend $$ on hot work suits, PPE, etc. for electricians, a lot of that is contracted....I am not allowed to throw closed a tripped main breaker...have to call in one of my IBEW friends.

zog

Few years back some of the senior GM maintenence electrcians were making $50 or more. And then they got buy out packages (6 figures) to leave.

Not in that world anymore but I bet things are not so good anymore.

big john

Any "facilities maintenance" electricians here?

Looking to get an idea what the pay scale is for such jobs.
I'm a glorified plant electrician in your neck of the woods. I'll second what other folks said: It depends what the "facility" is. When I was job-hunting about a year back, the commercial office spaces and hotels were offering the lowest pay. Usually about $15-20/hr.

Next up was heavy commercial.

Then came the bread and butter which was industrial which average about $25-35/hr.

But there's also a world of difference in the scope of those jobs. The one hotel I actually interviewed with was mostly looking for somebody to replace lamps, and reset tripped breakers and GFCIs. Not too much fun.

-John

mtfallsmikey

Forgot to mention in the previous post the Emcor and CBRE are no longer together.

Status
Not open for further replies.