Service Disconnect Adjacent to House

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

If I put the house service disconnect adjacent to it but not on it do I have to put another disconnect on or in the house? For example if it is 2' away does it still fall under the "one structure feeding another" part of the code or is ther some acceptable close distance?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If I put the house service disconnect adjacent to it but not on it do I have to put another disconnect on or in the house? For example if it is 2' away does it still fall under the "one structure feeding another" part of the code or is ther some acceptable close distance?
IMO, no... but I believe you will get various other opinions. Mine is based on the following being the only requirement:
VI. Service Equipment ? Disconnecting Means
230.70 General. Means shall be provided to disconnect all
conductors in a building or other structure from the serviceentrance
conductors.
(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be
installed in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and
(A)(3).
(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the
point of entrance of the service conductors.
(2) Bathrooms. Service disconnecting means shall not be
installed in bathrooms.
(3) Remote Control. Where a remote control device(s) is
used to actuate the service disconnecting means, the service
disconnecting means shall be located in accordance with
230.70(A)(1).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The problem is, IMO, at what distance is it not okay? 5', 10' 20' 50', you get my drift.

I would think most inspectors would have no problem with 2' esp. since mobile homes are wired that way. I do believe you will need a main breaker panel in the house.

mcclary's electrical

The problem is, IMO, at what distance is it not okay? 5', 10' 20' 50', you get my drift.

I would think most inspectors would have no problem with 2' esp. since mobile homes are wired that way. I do believe you will need a main breaker panel in the house.

IMO,550.32 says 30 feet and within sight

Jim W in Tampa

If it is a mobile home the inside panel will need main breaker. And if it is a house the same applies but we can not use rules as per mobile homes. Like it or not you have 2 structures.
If it is a mobile the panel should already have main breaker

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Nail a 2x4 between the disconnect support and the house.
No separate structure :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as somewhat witnessed here, it's an area that might be interpreted differently by area. When you look at the NEC definition of a "structure" your installation probably qualifies and your could in fact have one structure feeding another so you are looking at a 4 wire feeder ('08 definite) (250.32). and the house panel qualifying as service equipment (225.36)
That said, your AHJ may not view the service disconnect as a "separate structure" situation and allow it.
To me, its one of those areas where we can only conjecture..

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I agree, the issue here is how one interprets 'structure'.

In the past, we've had discussions where some would argue that a pole that only carries the meter and a disconnect was not a 'structure', thus not requiring its own grounding electrode system. Others would point out that a pole with a meter on it is something built, and therefore a 'structure'.

I'd like to take a somewhat different path of argument: the house is clearly a structure, and the pole/blocking/support for the outside disconnect is also a structure...but the cabling between the two is also something constructed, and thus ties these two items together into a single structure. As a single structure, you have no requirement for an additional main disconnect :)

-Jon

Jim W in Tampa

I agree, the issue here is how one interprets 'structure'.

In the past, we've had discussions where some would argue that a pole that only carries the meter and a disconnect was not a 'structure', thus not requiring its own grounding electrode system. Others would point out that a pole with a meter on it is something built, and therefore a 'structure'.

I'd like to take a somewhat different path of argument: the house is clearly a structure, and the pole/blocking/support for the outside disconnect is also a structure...but the cabling between the two is also something constructed, and thus ties these two items together into a single structure. As a single structure, you have no requirement for an additional main disconnect :)

-Jon

If we used that kind of thinking we are connected with the house next door.

NEC does not say how much distance we can have between 2 structures before it is only 1.
NEC says your pole is a structure
You can share the 2 rods
My inspector friend gave me advice on adding a shed. As long as it is not nailed or fastened to my main house it is a seperate structure. He suggested 1 foot away.
While i agree the OP has for practical purposes a disconnect on that pole but unless something attaches it then we can not call it 1 structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.