PVC RNC interior residential use

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstfred

I am a retired Cailf c-10, and the majority of my work has been commercial, industrial. Any residential has been spec homes or additions.

In a recent conversation an electrician said he planned to wire a client's garage with 3/4 sched 40 RNC., which I said I believed did not meet current calif code.

Any time the subject ever came up in the past I was told by inspectors, it was not acceptable, because of possible toxicity in the event of fire.

What actual NEC (or Calif) code reference applies to this application??

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I would expect that to be more of a commercial requirement similar to restrictions on places of assembly. Most residential rooms, including garages, are full of PVC items. I can't see how a bit of PVC conduit is going to affect toxicity in a fire when there is so much PVC around elsewhere.

But you are asking about California...

mcclary's electrical

I am a retired Cailf c-10, and the majority of my work has been commercial, industrial. Any residential has been spec homes or additions.

In a recent conversation an electrician said he planned to wire a client's garage with 3/4 sched 40 RNC., which I said I believed did not meet current calif code.

Any time the subject ever came up in the past I was told by inspectors, it was not acceptable, because of possible toxicity in the event of fire.

What actual NEC (or Calif) code reference applies to this application??

Ive seen inspectors use 352.12 (c) against sch 40. But never for fumes

Status
Not open for further replies.