health care facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

marionoe77

Hi Mike.
great web site I love the front page Bible Verse.

I can not clearly understand art. 517. do I need to install hospital grade
receptacles in a clinic or doctor outpatient office?
the definition of patient bed is making it very coplicated to me, by the definition we do not have a patient bed in a outpatient clinic, nobody stays
in there overnight.
thank you for your help.
Mario.

mcclary's electrical

Hi Mike.
great web site I love the front page Bible Verse.

I can not clearly understand art. 517. do I need to install hospital grade
receptacles in a clinic or doctor outpatient office?
the definition of patient bed is making it very coplicated to me, by the definition we do not have a patient bed in a outpatient clinic, nobody stays
in there overnight.
thank you for your help.
Mario.

Welcome to the forum, the definition of patient bed is "inpatient" sleeping bed,which IMO doesn't apply to you. I agree with you that no one stays there over night, therefor the requirement of hospital grade does not apply to your specific situation

cadpoint

My Read of it is; that what ever your State says Goes!

One should check your State requirements, (hint) which are usually above the NFPA minimum.

mcclary's electrical

Would a optematrist office like Americas Best, be considered a healthcare facility listed in article 517 ???

Several are listed in the definition of healh care facility, and optometrist is not one of them. I'm not sure how much leeway the definition has. AS pointed out above, the AHJ would probably decide that

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that 517.13 prescribes wiring methods in "patient care areas", but hospital grade receptacles are discussed under 517.18 & 517.19 for patient bed locations and critical care locations. both of which are defined in 517.2

wirenut583

Note that 517.13 prescribes wiring methods in "patient care areas", but hospital grade receptacles are discussed under 517.18 & 517.19 for patient bed locations and critical care locations. both of which are defined in 517.2

OK Augie, Here is a question I am dealing with right now, Does a patient bed location consist of the entire room or just where the bed sits. I have simplex TV outlets IMO i dont need them to be Hospital Grade they sit at 80" and are going to be behind a TV. What is everybodies opinion on that?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The definition of Patient Vicinity is what you are looking for.

Patient Care Vicinity. In an area in which patients are normally cared for, the patient care vicinity is the space with surfaces likely to be contacted by the patient or an attendant who can touch the patient. Typically in a patient room, this encloses a space within the room not less than 1.8 m (6 ft) beyond the perimeter of the bed in its nominal location, and extending vertically not less than 2.3 m (71/2 ft) above the floor. [99:3.3.140]

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.