Outlets per circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

twayne

For residential use, how many outlets are allowed on a 20 amp circuit for dens, family rms, dining rms, etc.

Thanks,
Wayne

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Tom. As far as the NEC is concerned you can put as many as want on a residential circuit.

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

I would suggest you give thought as to what might likely be used on each circuit.
Usually i woul limit it to about 10 or 12 duplex receptacles. Would share 1 with 2 kids bedrooms and 1 for master bed room. End result is you want a happy customer and that is no breakers tripping under normal use. NEC does not care if its 100 receptacles but we all know that would be crazy.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

For residential use, how many outlets are allowed on a 20 amp circuit for dens, family rms, dining rms, etc.

Thanks,
Wayne

Yes, I agree with others. NEC-code has no ristriction on this but As long as I have worked and designed. I have been asked no more than 6 duplex socket per circuit.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Yes, I agree with others. NEC-code has no ristriction on this but As long as I have worked and designed. I have been asked no more than 6 duplex socket per circuit.

Yes, I agree with others. NEC-code has no ristriction on this but As long as I have worked and designed. I have been asked no more than 6 duplex socket per circuit for 20 ampere breaker only.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.

Thanks,
Wayne

Might want to check on your local regulations (AHJ), the stuff that your local county ass - u - me 's that everyone knows, except you...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The hand book specifies no limit on residental but you have to have one circuit for every 500 sq ft.
And how do you come by that conclusion? Is that what the handbook says is a requirement, or is it just a suggestion, or are you able to cite a code article that backs this up? Keep in mind that the NEC is not a design manual.

e57

In residential - the NEC wants you to avoid the need for extention cords - e.g. 210.52 - but doesn't care how many outlets you install on the circuit. Which is only slightly improved from a string of extention cords if not designed by someone who give hoot to limit the load on it... Contradiction - yep.... ;)

Jim W in Tampa

The hand book specifies no limit on residental but you have to have one circuit for every 500 sq ft.
All nec says is that for residential we allow 3 watts per sq ft for general use. 20 amps = 2400 watts so that covers 800 sq ft. That is for doing total load calculations.
I sure hope you put in more than that. Each company usually sets up there own policy of how many.

e57

All nec says is that for residential we allow 3 watts per sq ft for general use. 20 amps = 2400 watts so that covers 800 sq ft. That is for doing total load calculations.
I sure hope you put in more than that. Each company usually sets up there own policy of how many.
Thats for feeder and service calculations - branch circuit calculation in residential uses wording like 'Shall not require additional calculation' or something to that effect... Off the top of the head...

Status
Not open for further replies.