receptacle about lay in ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMOORE001

Can a receptacle be installed above a lay in ceiling. In this case a ceiling mounted projector with a 2" conduit support is hung below the ceilng but the conduit has a opening at the top for the cord to be routed through it to the receptacle mounted to the bar joist above. Can this conduit be considered a raceway to allow for the cord to be run through the ceiling. I understand the cord itself can not do so but this seems to met the requirements of a raceway. Is there also a issue for the receptacle to be out of sight. The only issue I have been able to find is the cord issue.

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Can a receptacle be installed above a lay in ceiling. In this case a ceiling mounted projector with a 2" conduit support is hung below the ceilng but the conduit has a opening at the top for the cord to be routed through it to the receptacle mounted to the bar joist above. Can this conduit be considered a raceway to allow for the cord to be run through the ceiling. I understand the cord itself can not do so but this seems to met the requirements of a raceway. Is there also a issue for the receptacle to be out of sight. The only issue I have been able to find is the cord issue.

The receptacle would not be a violation in and of itself, but the cord would. The requirement is not that a cord cannot pass through a suspended ceiling,,,,the requirement is that the cord cannot be there at all. I would mount the rec. face down in tile 400.8 (5) 400.8 (6)

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
The receptacle, in and of itself, is not a violation. The receptacle maybe a required receptalce that is within 25 feet of an HVAC or other mecnical device needing servicing. But there is no way to have cordage above a suspended ceiling.

Edit - Hey Bob, have you seen 400.14? I know, it's reaching, but just sayin`...:D

Last edited:

DetroitEE

I have a situation where our A/V consultant is placing Room Schedulers outside of conference rooms, and they want a receptacle above the ceiling to plug into. The device has an external power supply/transformer, and the RCDD I'm working with told me that this would be a legal install as long as we put the receptacle and power supply in a box like this:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetail.aspx?AccessoryID=208

So, the receptacle, power supply, and 120V cord would all be contained in this box, and then the low voltage cord from the power supply/transformer would go down a conduit in the wall and terminate into the device. Is this a legal install since the 120V cord will not be going through the ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.