Status
Not open for further replies.

shaw0486

good morning everyone,
In the above referance article it mentions open conductors. What is the definition of an open conductor. I assume it is reffering to bare wiring. Would Triplex be considered an open conductor installation. Does the messanger wiring of triplex have to be attached to a utility pole with an insulator and a wedge grip or can a metal clamp be used.

Thanks,

mcclary's electrical

good morning everyone,
In the above referance article it mentions open conductors. What is the definition of an open conductor. I assume it is reffering to bare wiring. Would Triplex be considered an open conductor installation. Does the messanger wiring of triplex have to be attached to a utility pole with an insulator and a wedge grip or can a metal clamp be used.

Thanks,

In definitions there are 3 for conductor. Bare ,covered or insulated. To me an open conductor could be any of the above, as long as it's ran independantly of other conductors, and in free air

Smart $

Esteemed Member
good morning everyone,

Thanks,
Open conductors are individual conductors (any of the three types mentioned) which are run completely exposed to air with no surrounding environment (such as a raceway, or psuedo-raceway ;)), essentially only supported point to point at considerable distance (an example of less than considerable distance would be individual conductors routed in cable tray).

If the messenger wire is not also a conductor, 250.12 does not apply to the messenger. However, I believe if the messenger is say steel wire that may or is in contact with a bare conductor, then I assume 250.122 applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.