Add new feeders to existing switchboard without spaces left

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

If the facility has one existing switchboard 480/277V, with 3,000A main fused switch. This switchboard has (3) distribution sections.

Section #1 contains (1) 1,200A fused switch
Section #2 contains (2) 800A fused switch
Section #3 contains (1) 1,200A fused switch
There are no spaces left in any sections.

The current metering reading at the switcborad is around 1,500A. Now, we want to add another 1,200A additional load to this switchboard? What?s possible option can we modify the board? (I think each section is rated for 1,200A). One of the oprions we think is to add another 1,200A section to the board and extend existing bus over to this new section? Should we open the board and investigate if we can do this? This may have some issues because of room space so new section must not line-up with the switchboard. Any reccomendations will be appreciated. Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think I would look at the loads on the individual sections. If your total load is 1500 amps, you might be able to feed the two existing 1200 "loads" from one existing switch and use the one you freed for your new load.
If you don't care to combine loads, I would suggest you go with your "add a section" plan and my first step would be to contact the gear manufacturer with the shop order # and see what that would entail.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe the manufacturer would allow you to tap the buss and feed another set of switchgear? Then that'd free you up to use any kind of switchgear you like...

Status
Not open for further replies.