Title 24 California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im curious if anyone (california guys) have issues with title 24. In the past few months Ive removed quite a few occupancy sensors (Legrand wattstopper) for buisness owners who are tired of dancing in front of them to get them to turn back on. Also Im curious on the life of t-8 fixtures that are wired to occupancy sensors. any input you have would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks ~Nate

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Im curious if anyone (california guys) have issues with title 24. In the past few months Ive removed quite a few occupancy sensors (Legrand wattstopper) for buisness owners who are tired of dancing in front of them to get them to turn back on. Also Im curious on the life of t-8 fixtures that are wired to occupancy sensors. any input you have would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks ~Nate

No problem on the T-8's. I will have to say the Leviton sensors work OK as long as you don't manually turn them off. On-Off-On-Off auto operation, is acceptable. If you do manually turn them off, then it is not easy to get them immediately back on. After reading the instruction manual, I'm still perplexed, as they don't seem to work quite as stated.

Karl H

I really like the "Watt-Stoppers". The thing is, you really need to check
the manufacturers specs when using certain ballasts with motion sensors.
Sylvania Quicktronics ie. "PROstart" series work well with motion sensors.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Most states are adopting energy codes of some form or another, so its not just California. And yes, these codes are a PITA.

Removing the occupancy sensors might be a violation of that code.

Generally, rapid start and programmed start ballasts fair pretty well with sensors. But instant start ballasts can greatly reduce lamp life if the sensors turn on and off a lot.

Steve

Removing the occupancy sensors might be a violation of that code.

This is true, but the problem Ive been dealing with are occupancy sensors that were obviously installed with no thought to anything other than passing inspection i.e. sensors installed on wall facing major highway so cars that drive by turn on sensors, or occupancy sensors installed directly over copy machines so when copy machine goes through cleaning cycle all the lights on that floor turn on.

I think the idea of occupancy sensors is great, its the design aspect thats the problem. and in a poor design with regard to placement of said sensors i dont think there are any real energy savings.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Maybe you should try Vacancy sensors!
Manual on with a long on time.
Surely in 30 min someone walking by will turn them back on again. Leviton makes a master remote version that talk to each other. These should allow multiple placement so you won't be in the dark.

Maybe you should try Vacancy sensors!
Manual on with a long on time.
Surely in 30 min someone walking by will turn them back on again. Leviton makes a master remote version that talk to each other. These should allow multiple placement so you won't be in the dark.

Vacancy sensors! Im gonna look into those. Thanks Sierrasparky!
~Nate

Karl H

You think your having fun now. Wait till you are calculating the allowed
lighting power per sq/ft in hopes to install Line-volt tracks into your space!
Current Limiters will be your new best friend. I completely agree with you on
the design, when dealing with OCC sensors. :) 2008 T-24 is pretty
complicated even though they eliminated the "Portable Lighting" sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.