Jobsite stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

Working as a mercenary has its ups and downs. I remember the thread of worst working conditions that really helped me put my own bad days into perspective. Since I'm trying to figure out some constructive ways to deal with a crew that I've been working with lately that's stressing me out, I figured asking for your stories of jobsite stress might be a good start.

What were the most stressful conditions you've worked under, what were the effects of that stress and what did you do to deal with it?

---------

Here's my story. This particular crew has some strange ways of relating at work - they stage fights; hound each other and others constantly - sometimes joking, sometimes serious... you never know for sure; they are extreme perfectionists but have a limited grasp of and (at times blatant) disrespect for code and they regularly work 10 hour days. The stress effects I've noticed (other than feeling uncomfortable around them) are that I feel rushed and am not as concentrated on my work and am forgetting to finish up jobs as I bounce from one thing to the other trying to fit in with their system. To deal with it I've been trying not to get pulled into their odd ways of relating, I try to work alone as much as possible. I'm doing things I never did before like forgetting to clean up parts of my work area (which might be in three different buildings at once) because there's just not enough of me to go around at times soaking wet from rain at 6 PM. Dealing with this crew is a work in progress :cool:

quinn77

so you're working as a sub through their employer? if thats the case i would suggest looking for other work. i dont work for employers who hire these types of "installers" anymore. if you consider yourself an electrician then work with electricians, and if you just cant move on at the moment, then i would suggest standing your ground as respectfully as possible until you can move on......and whistle while you work. think positive, have confidence that you can find something better, and better work will come.:)

quinn

cadpoint

I don’t understand your employment situation as earlier posted.

I’m going 180 from the previous answer)sorta(.

First of all, I think it a personality thing, how you come off to your crew or the crew is a big statement!
They can surely smell the difference. If you don’t express yourself properly and confidently,
you’ve lost them …

Second; I could call less about the rough housing, but when it gets into company time, well it just not right.
I’m concerned for everyone that’s on the job, I demand respect for any trade or for anybody that’s crazy enough to work in the field and the conditions were exposed to.
If you don’t still your neck out for your crew or the other crews in the work area it’s a big lose to the effort!
You have to understand that everyone on the job demands respect (in their own way) and you should respect everyone!
Sometimes you just need to get out of the way and pull a crew to go forward.

Third, you need to make people responsible for their work period; with your work you should let your helper or
competent person finish up these small choirs where you see the chance.
You have to express that the work you expect; that the work will get done in “x” amount of time and if problems arise to come get you.
You should be assigning tasks respectful of the level of experience on the crew.

Fourth; it seems that you’re stretched out, seems you should or should not have your tools on!
It’s not a case that you can’t delegate, I think it’s a case that you’re afraid to delegate or stand up front and say the things that need to be said.
See the statement, 1st of all above.

If this is even your position to state these things to the crew; say this

Finally remind them there grown Men and Woman, that your not here to hold their hands, that your not here for the friendship, but that you’d be glad to help them if they get in a bind.
That you work to the NEC and you happen to be here right now.
Remind them that you’d rather not be embarrassed by their work, lack of work, manners on their job and/or their lack of professionalism on the job.

The job can usually be hard enough, your not here to do it twice.

e57

Working as a mercenary has its ups and downs.
Yep - it does.... I'm doing it now... (I think I even coined the phase - some time ago. :confused:) It blows sometimes, but it pays for a lot of different things I would not otherwise afford at the moment - like food, and shelter. Since no employers are employing, and everyone steadily being broken down by clients for costs as they see it simply as a supply and demand - they know there are lots of companies, and the labor is desperate. They want it free... Companies can't keep a labor pool on hand - employed - so to survive and ratchet up to larger jobs they need to keep people as temporary as possible and get as much as they can from them.

But one must understand - the reason they're pulling you in - is the 'need'. They got a job larger than the crew they keep on hand. Forcing them to pull in subs or independents... Some may work on different jobs together over and over again for companies that need the "Git er done" bunch of chuckle heads hoppin through hoops. They might not be the ones you want to work with or for - but they got the work... And they're probably loaded full of high testosterone red-neck enthusiasm (which borders on hazing) and colorfull modivational euphoniums....

Back in the mid-90's and for about 3 years I worked as an "Independant Contractor" - for about 7 companies - 3 of which were young new contractors - and kind of related - as the owners of them had all worked at one point for one the main guys I worked for, and he and the rest all worked at one point or another for a man I refer to as Uncle Joe. He's in his 80's now. But all of these contractors worked for and eventually all got thier own license but still would call eachother, and pay eachother to bring in guys they knew on projects that were often beyond the scope of what a one or two man shop could ever compete for. Sometimes all of them would be on the same job for different aspects - but all worked together.

They all knew eachother well, and were from a simular cutlure (Irish), but also a simular work culture - because they all worked at one time for Uncle Joe were was a soft spoken Dubliner, but a hard driver. And you could see a little of him in ALL the others - manifested in different ways. Some harsher than others. But once you got used to the pace, and proved worth through breaking sweat - you were one of them. But early during the process it was pretty harsh. That said - ~15 years later I still see them around - start reminising of the 'old days' - some are starting to work together again - just for the economies of working together that got them started and kept them working when times were tough. (I'm looking to take one into a project with me right now for that matter.)

On the other hand - I had also worked for companies I'll never work for again. They were a mill, treated people as disposable and did slap dash work. Often with owners or foremen who were in way over their heads, and took that stress out on everyone else as an act of self preservation for what little self-respect and few pennies they had left. If you're in a situation like that... 'Ride the train' so to speak, chuckle to yourself, and ride it off the rails - don't let it get to you (As it's tempoary) and just remember to get off the train before it leaves the rails... ;) Before that train crashes - look into trying out the next opprotunity - step off anytime you like and don't let them drag you into their drama.

PetrosA

It sounds like it's a job of some size...

It's larger than a lot of the jobs I usually work on, but not super large. We all kind of have to huff it together on this one.

Yep - it does.... I'm doing it now... (I think I even coined the phase - some time ago. :confused:)

You were definitely the one who coined the phrase - sorry I forgot to mention that. You hit the nail on the head with the redneck enthusiasm description :) The hazing thing is one of the more stressful things for me and a helper they bring in from time to time (he's a professional high end cabinetmaker who went to school with the boss and is earning extra cash in his down time, so not your typical "helper" type). There are times we look at each other wondering WT*?!?

..."installers"...

quinn

That's a great term! And a very motivational post. Thanks!

First of all, I think it a personality thing, how you come off to your crew or the crew is a big statement!
They can surely smell the difference. If you don?t express yourself properly and confidently,
you?ve lost them ?

It?s not a case that you can?t delegate, I think it?s a case that you?re afraid to delegate or stand up front and say the things that need to be said...

That's basically what I've been doing once I realized what was going on. I'm there with them as an electrician (they have laborer type helpers when needed). Since I had never worked with guys like this before it took me a few incidents to figure out what was going on. The breaking point came on the first day of this job (a 10kW solar install plus a few other upgrades on the property) when, before I got there, they told the owner of the property that I would get a kick out her making fun of my truck when I arrived. So I got there and this client, whom I had never met, plus the two of them started in on me about the truck before I even opened the truck door and then made "hazing" comments to me in front of the customer. I wasn't expecting that at all and it was WAY unprofessional. She seemed to realize that the whole scene had gotten out of control and has been nothing but correct with me since. I let them know that we need to keep things professional as well.

stevenje

Working as a mercenary has its ups and downs. I remember the thread of worst working conditions that really helped me put my own bad days into perspective. Since I'm trying to figure out some constructive ways to deal with a crew that I've been working with lately that's stressing me out, I figured asking for your stories of jobsite stress might be a good start.

What were the most stressful conditions you've worked under, what were the effects of that stress and what did you do to deal with it?

---------

Here's my story. This particular crew has some strange ways of relating at work - they stage fights; hound each other and others constantly - sometimes joking, sometimes serious... you never know for sure; they are extreme perfectionists but have a limited grasp of and (at times blatant) disrespect for code and they regularly work 10 hour days. The stress effects I've noticed (other than feeling uncomfortable around them) are that I feel rushed and am not as concentrated on my work and am forgetting to finish up jobs as I bounce from one thing to the other trying to fit in with their system. To deal with it I've been trying not to get pulled into their odd ways of relating, I try to work alone as much as possible. I'm doing things I never did before like forgetting to clean up parts of my work area (which might be in three different buildings at once) because there's just not enough of me to go around at times soaking wet from rain at 6 PM. Dealing with this crew is a work in progress :cool:

I too have worked under similar conditions. It's no fun. Here are a few things that I have learned over the years to get through these stressful situations.

#1 Always put the ball back in their court. This means let them make the call. You do this by asking a simple question. For example if you are working on one project and they want you to drop everything to do something else, ask the question. "Do you want me to come back and finish what I am working on now, after this new project is done?" The same goes with the clean up after you finish a project or any other task they want you to do. If they deviate from their previous answer on what you are to do next, just ask another question like "I thought that you wanted me to go back and finish that last project first". You get the picture.

#2 Don't get flustered. Focus on what you are doing at that time. Don't let them rush you. We all have our own pace. When they push workers from job to job without warning, it usually because of poor planning and scheduling on their part. Don't get caught up in all the drama.

#3 Get organized. Remember an hour of planning is worth four hours of work. If you have to rip out what you just put in because of lack of planning it is worth a hell of a lot more. Again ask the questions, put the ball back in their court." "Where are the prints, tools and material for this project?" "How do you what this project done?" Make them be specific. This will save you from the dreaded "That's not what I wanted." Or didn't you know duct work was going there."

#4 Know the current codes. This is a big one. Every time you are asked to install something that is illegal, ask the question. "The way I read Article ..... of the the 2008 NEC this would be a violation. Do you want me to make an illegal installation?" There is usually a moment of silence here. Now he realizes that you know the code mostly likely better than he does. IMHO this is paramount. Anybody who has a good working knowledge of the current codes gains respect.But you have to be able to back it up!. You will be surprised what this will do for your job status. There always seems to be that "go to guy" on every job when it comes to the code. Be that "go to guy."

#5 Last but not least try and find someone that you can work together with. This will make you day go better. It is simply amazing the amount of good work that two or more workers can produce when they get along, not to mention how fast the time goes by. I have made life long friends with some them.

I hope this helps. Thanks for listening.

growler

they told the owner of the property that I would get a kick out her making fun of my truck when I arrived. So I got there and this client, whom I had never met, plus the two of them started in on me about the truck before I even opened the truck door and then made "hazing" comments to me in front of the customer. I wasn't expecting that at all and it was WAY unprofessional.

To be honest when you drive a truck like that you can expect a few jokes. There is nothing wrong with your truck but it is different than what most people are used to on a job site.

For some reason the crews that work residential are much more prone to horse-play than commercial or industrial crews.

e57

You were definitely the one who coined the phrase - sorry I forgot to mention that.
I thought it sounded familiar... Like it was coming from my own head..... ;)

You hit the nail on the head with the redneck enthusiasm description :) The hazing thing is one of the more stressful things for me and a helper they bring in from time to time (he's a professional high end cabinetmaker who went to school with the boss and is earning extra cash in his down time, so not your typical "helper" type). There are times we look at each other wondering WT*?!?

So I got there and this client, whom I had never met, plus the two of them started in on me about the truck before I even opened the truck door and then made "hazing" comments to me in front of the customer. I wasn't expecting that at all and it was WAY unprofessional. She seemed to realize that the whole scene had gotten out of control and has been nothing but correct with me since. I let them know that we need to keep things professional as well.

Let me guess - these guys actually don't work with other people too often, and haven't had additional members of a crew in sometime... And have not been humbled themselves in way too long by having to look for work - i.e. real lucky to have jobs....

If this is jovial juvenile crap (as opposed to malicious) - I would let it ride for only a little while longer - because it may just get boring to them... (New toys not new no more...) But if you think this is continuous - and I'll assume the BOSS is not on site advocating anything like the 'client incident' - because that is WAY over the line... I would start thinking of an appropriate subtle way of addressing it with him. In a way that does not escalate conflict, and saves face for what little relationship you have with these guys. e.g. Not go in there and full on rat them out with a fully detailed list - but make him aware that some shenanigans is going on at the site - explain that for reasons of 'saving face' you wont detail the goings on but... Maybe he should look in to some of the site behavior - and that it is being done in front of the client... No likes a whiner, and no one likes a rat - and you can only make that line so subtle - but 'we do this for money - it's not a hobby' or a club house. (A line you should use in passing from time to time....)

Anyway - heres two situations - one very recent...

#1 Frat boy minded GC - who on a professional level - I HATE - on a personal level can only tolerate as an aquaintence. But I was the Field Super' for a friend (Former Apprentice of mine - former freind now too apparently.) expanding his biz... And forced to deal with this very unproffessional GC.... He would pull all kinds of stupid pranks and other demeaning crap with his employees.... (some of which bordered on bizarre) And on occasion - to one of 'ours'. (A thin skinned hippy - besides the point) But our employee came to me and talked to me about it... Who I had to cool out and calm the situation...

A week or so goes by, and I'm on site with "Frat Boy" and he said something to "Hippy" - and it was funny but... I said - "Oh hold on... I gotta write this down..." As if it were 'that' funny... Pulled out a note book, and wrote it down in front of the GC who was amazed I actually was... Then I said - "OH wait - I think this is where you and I are supposed to have some silly conversation - we should go to your trailer...." And we did...

Spent the next 2-3 hours explaining employee lawsuits to the dope... In his puny little head - thats how apprentices and lower level employees were treated... Thats how he was treated... I made an an analogy to employee harassment lawsuits being like sexual harassment lawsuits - which caught his little "Howard Stern* fueled mind" just to keep his attention - but that project was like teaching a child how to play with other kids - on a professional level....

(* I'm thankful for satellite because its hard to hear it on a job-site now... Yes - this social poison is on topic.)

#2 Recently on a "Mercenary" job helping another EC in a commercial "Fast-track job"^ - with employees who only do resi... I helped him bid it, design it, spec it, ran it - the last part was the problem.... One of his employees saw me as some sort of threat, saw any direction I gave him as over stepping what he saw as my position. (Temp) It was a struggle - up was down, black was white... Got to the point I had to take him aside and tell him we were working against eachother - which he did not get... Then I kicked him off the site - came as a big shock to him.... (although my involvement on the project was explained to him...) But for the sake of the project - I couldn't work with him - got more done without him and without having to teach him.

(^ where much of my Mercenary work is...)

Anyway I'm not sure of the particulars to your situation - if malicious or not - but hope that it works out - just don't let them drag you down...

e57

I too have worked under similar conditions. It's no fun. Here are a few things that I have learned over the years to get through these stressful situations.

#1 Always put the ball back in their court. This means let them make the call. You do this by asking a simple question. For example if you are working on one project and they want you to drop everything to do something else, ask the question. "Do you want me to come back and finish what I am working on now, after this new project is done?" The same goes with the clean up after you finish a project or any other task they want you to do. If they deviate from their previous answer on what you are to do next, just ask another question like "I thought that you wanted me to go back and finish that last project first". You get the picture.

#2 Don't get flustered. Focus on what you are doing at that time. Don't let them rush you. We all have our own pace. When they push workers from job to job without warning, it usually because of poor planning and scheduling on their part. Don't get caught up in all the drama.

#3 Get organized. Remember an hour of planning is worth four hours of work. If you have to rip out what you just put in because of lack of planning it is worth a hell of a lot more. Again ask the questions, put the ball back in their court." "Where are the prints, tools and material for this project?" "How do you what this project done?" Make them be specific. This will save you from the dreaded "That's not what I wanted." Or didn't you know duct work was going there."

#4 Know the current codes. This is a big one. Every time you are asked to install something that is illegal, ask the question. "The way I read Article ..... of the the 2008 NEC this would be a violation. Do you want me to make an illegal installation?" There is usually a moment of silence here. Now he realizes that you know the code mostly likely better than he does. IMHO this is paramount. Anybody who has a good working knowledge of the current codes gains respect.But you have to be able to back it up!. You will be surprised what this will do for your job status. There always seems to be that "go to guy" on every job when it comes to the code. Be that "go to guy."

#5 Last but not least try and find someone that you can work together with. This will make you day go better. It is simply amazing the amount of good work that two or more workers can produce when they get along, not to mention how fast the time goes by. I have made life long friends with some them.

I hope this helps. Thanks for listening.
FWIW - all of that is excellent advice!!!! However - some of it needs to be handled with extreme care so as not to threaten their perceived status - because you're probably right - they don't know how to run a job.

growler

To be honest when you drive a truck like that you can expect a few jokes. There is nothing wrong with your truck but it is different than what most people are used to on a job site.

So what exactly does he drive??? :confused:

I do believe it's a Ford Transit Connect. I stated that I don't think there is anything wrong with the vehicle but some people do tend to make jokes if they see you with a really ugly woman or an ugly truck. The connect while being a fully functional vehicle does lend it's self to a bit of humor in the looks department.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I do believe it's a Ford Transit Connect. I stated that I don't think there is anything wrong with the vehicle but some people do tend to make jokes if they see you with a really ugly woman or an ugly truck. The connect while being a fully functional vehicle does lend it's self to a bit of humor in the looks department.

I drive an old van with a stuffed rabbit on the dash. I have been chided about the rabbit and even got the nickname 'Rabbit Lover' from a hand on one job.

The rabbit was a gift from my daughter and still resides on the dash.

When chided, I reply that the rabbit is part of my navigation system and that I have one of the few systems on the market that uses......fuzzy logic.

I just don't take the stuff the guys and gals on a site say all too seriously. Some of them are pretty funny and a hoot to work around.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
True story

True story

I was working on a new 256,000 sq ft store and one of the pipe insulators was a real smart a**. One day he was giving me some static about something he didn't like about something I did. I think it was because we had the labels on the EMT showing or something to that effect. So, of course I said, "Hey, what do you know, I'm a licensed electrician, are you?"

"Yep", he said, and showed me his license.

Turns out his dad was an EC.

Of course I asked if he was a licensed electrician, why was he insulating pipe.

"The scale's higher and insulation is lighter than pipe."

Gotta admit, he made a pretty good case.

e57

Oh- I had to look it up on line to see what one looks like - but I think they might even be jealous. ;) Did he not have a thread with pics of his truck some time ago? I think its truck envy....

For the record - I have shown up to work as an 'employee' with the following embarrasing selection of transportation modes... And I was comfortable and secure in all of them....
  • Public transit and on foot.
  • bicycle
  • A voltwagon bus I was living in at the time.
  • A company provided otherwise perfectly acceptable service truck with a large lavender triangle incorporated into the logo in the local gay neighborhoods. (Owner had no clue of significant meaning of the symbology :roll:)
  • My favorite - A '74 postal wagon colored blue plaid with CRAYON - boy was that a fun and funny looking ride... (I miss it...)
Out of all of those my old astro van was the most embarrasing - which was a perfectly acceptable vehical for a contractor...

When I bought my current ride - a Savana - I really wanted a Sprinter but they were new and poeple thought they were funny looking... Not that I would care... And at the time - I felt the American version of them was too big - as the european ones would be just right... That transit appears to be a version of that, but smaller than the eurpoean models... And just goes to show how American car companies mess things up by assuming what we want... JMSO

jumper

I drive an old van with a stuffed rabbit on the dash. I have been chided about the rabbit and even got the nickname 'Rabbit Lover' from a hand on one job.

The rabbit was a gift from my daughter and still resides on the dash.

When chided, I reply that the rabbit is part of my navigation system and that I have one of the few systems on the market that uses......fuzzy logic.
:)...........

Status
Not open for further replies.