Got played like a Stradivarius

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmagyar

I recieved a call from a prospective client on Saturday, one who was out of town (vacationing in Hawaii) who was having trouble with a rental property. That should have been warning enough but I played right into it. The property in question had lost one phase of the supply through the main circuit breaker, which was visably burnt (c/b) (Challenger panel). I called the renter, visited the property, took pictures, checked on replacement breakers, called SMUD,(POCO) having to wait until Monday morning to get the armored ring removed, and the county to get a permit going. Called, faxed a quote to the owner for the work at his hotel room.

Guess what the response was? "Sorry I've decided to seek another solution".
Question: how to avoid getting so screwed in the future, without becoming so jaded that I take up piano lessions so I can get work in a place of ill repute.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm an inspector and my boss asked me one time how I knew a job was going to go bad. I told him that if I knew that they wouldn't go bad or I would write a book.

My point being is I don't know if you can avoid it in the future. I used to do work for this one lady all the time, and she had money, all of a sudden she's trying to haggle every bill. You just can't tell.

satcom

I recieved a call from a prospective client on Saturday, one who was out of town (vacationing in Hawaii) who was having trouble with a rental property. That should have been warning enough but I played right into it. The property in question had lost one phase of the supply through the main circuit breaker, which was visably burnt (c/b) (Challenger panel). I called the renter, visited the property, took pictures, checked on replacement breakers, called SMUD,(POCO) having to wait until Monday morning to get the armored ring removed, and the county to get a permit going. Called, faxed a quote to the owner for the work at his hotel room.

Guess what the response was? "Sorry I've decided to seek another solution".
Question: how to avoid getting so screwed in the future, without becoming so jaded that I take up piano lessions so I can get work in a place of ill repute.

We learned a long time ago, to secure a valid credit card and voice recorded approval to proceed, before we will look at the job. That was a service call, not an estimate

growler

I recieved a call from a prospective client on Saturday, one who was out of town (vacationing in Hawaii) who was having trouble with a rental property. That should have been warning enough but I played right into it.

Did you agree to give him a free estimate or did you let him know that you charge for a service call?

Even if you don't repair a problem you can still bill a customer for time spent trouble shooting and travel ( if you didn't agree to that free estimate thing). You can at least get your minimum fee.

GUNNING

Put on that salesman hat!

Put on that salesman hat!

Yes you will.
I'm not going to record a voice but getting a credit card is a good idea. Except the part where $30 every month goes to the credit card company. I don't have that kind of customer base.

I think if you send the owner a bill for your time. They might pay it. If not, you will have to decide weather to chase after it or not. It might be that the tenant was behind on there rent and this is a sign from above that they should move. When your bill gets there another sign you should have the job.:) They didn't say you were not to do the job just they were going in another direction. Send the bill, Get your name in their face and on their lips. Its salesman hat time pardoner.
The worst thing that comes from all this is you know what to do next time with the service. Have them fax you a work order. Have the phone numbers and costs ready. Now you are ready for the next one.

ceb58

Send him a bill. You spent your time and gas on a Saturday to come up with a price and solution for the problem. You have wasted X # of hours and x $ in gas whats 10 min. and a stamp.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Gunning has it right, the worst is you will have a bill for the tax man.
If they (customer) call you might end up selling them, they could be dumping the tenant and will have you do the repair after they are gone.

e57

Bill them - if they dispute - let them have thier 'other solution' take care of it. I'm not in a mercifully mood today - neither should you be in one...

mtfallsmikey

Yes you will.
I'm not going to record a voice but getting a credit card is a good idea. Except the part where $30 every month goes to the credit card company. I don't have that kind of customer base.

I think if you send the owner a bill for your time. They might pay it. If not, you will have to decide weather to chase after it or not. It might be that the tenant was behind on there rent and this is a sign from above that they should move. When your bill gets there another sign you should have the job.:) They didn't say you were not to do the job just they were going in another direction. Send the bill, Get your name in their face and on their lips. Its salesman hat time pardoner.
The worst thing that comes from all this is you know what to do next time with the service. Have them fax you a work order. Have the phone numbers and costs ready. Now you are ready for the next one.

No verbal approval for me..written only, signed, with credit card number. If you're not taking credit cards for payment,start.

Status
Not open for further replies.