Panel Install Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aptman3

I am going to change an old fuse box in a house. There is a sink directly in front of the fuse box. In the room there is no space at all to relocate the new panel away from the sink. Tomorrow I will contact the electrical inspector to ask him what he would like to see done. But what do have some of you experienced in the past? Has an inspector allowed this to be done without getting rid of the sink? This would be twice as big of a project if I have to relocate the panel to another room in the house.

4SPARKS

is there any way to locate the panel by the meter and back feed the fused circuits. Just guessing what the set up is. what are the details of the install and why a new panel other than replacing fuses.

Buck Parrish

I am going to change an old fuse box in a house. There is a sink directly in front of the fuse box. In the room there is no space at all to relocate the new panel away from the sink. Tomorrow I will contact the electrical inspector to ask him what he would like to see done. But what do have some of you experienced in the past? Has an inspector allowed this to be done without getting rid of the sink? This would be twice as big of a project if I have to relocate the panel to another room in the house.

We have done many of these. I would not ask the inspector (in this case). Just move it.
Pull the old one out, chunk it. Pull the old circuits up to the attic or down to the crawl space then re-feed and splice the existing circuits from your new panel at a new code compliant location.
This is assuming you have a crawl space or attic.

See here, notice the j- boxes in the crawl space . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4utI7Pyvsk

Last edited:

dnbob

As previously stated, the sink or panel must be relocated. This a major safety risk. We have had to have sinks removed, even though, all we added was a breaker to the panel.

Good Luck

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.