flat screen tv over whirlpool tub in bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneee

i have been getting requests for gfi outlets above a tub for TVs...what clearances would i need to make this legal....the platform is 12X8...the tub is 8X6...the problem is they want the tv at their feet inside the footprint of the platform.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would ask the AHJ before I do anything because I believe this article is subject to interpretation. Art. 408.(C) states

C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

Within or over means, IMO on the ceiling above the tub. If the recep is mounted on a wall it would be difficult to be directly over the tub. That is my strict interpretation but I could see an inspector looking t it differently.

electricmanscott

This might be something that could be addressed with a code change. I have a hard time seeing the danger of a receptacle installed behind a wall mounted TV in this type of setup.

RICK NAPIER

The trouble is they stand in the tub to operate the tv when they can't find the remote. I have seen contractors cut a hole in the wall with access to the plug from the other side of the wall with glass in front of the tv on the tub side so you could not operate it from the bathroom without the remote.

satcom

The trouble is they stand in the tub to operate the tv when they can't find the remote. I have seen contractors cut a hole in the wall with access to the plug from the other side of the wall with glass in front of the tv on the tub side so you could not operate it from the bathroom without the remote.

They were most likely not licensed electrical contractors, that did that, sounds like something handy dandy the local I can do anything handyman did.

RICK NAPIER

satcom
user_online.gif

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK NAPIER

They were most likely not licensed electrical contractors, that did that, sounds like something handy dandy the local I can do anything handyman did.

No. It was always done by licensed contractors different contractors on different job sites. The tv is accessed from outside the bathroom usually a closet. You can see the tv from the tub and operate the tv with the remote but you can't access the tv from the bathroom. It also has the added benefit of preventing moisture from the tub from reaching the tv. It looks very proffessional done with different trims.

I do like your tv in the tub design. You can find anything on line.

satcom

satcom
user_online.gif

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK NAPIER

No. It was always done by licensed contractors different contractors on different job sites. The tv is accessed from outside the bathroom usually a closet. You can see the tv from the tub and operate the tv with the remote but you can't access the tv from the bathroom. It also has the added benefit of preventing moisture from the tub from reaching the tv. It looks very proffessional done with different trims.

I do like your tv in the tub design. You can find anything on line.

Not glass covered then, but a total glass enclosure?

RICK NAPIER

The tv is recessed on a shelve in the wall with a glass plate covering the opening in the wall. The shelve is then accessable from the back in another room. When this shelve was low I have seen them use tempered glass.

dbuckley

Having the telly behind glass so it is not in the steam filled room is an excellent idea; not only does it get around the need for a receptical in a scary place, making the instllation altogether safer, but its also good for the telly - its in a much nicer environment.

This installation technique is used in the UK where it isn't legal to have any sort of outlet capable of delivering real power close to a tub.

For a first class installation you can use electrically heated glass, which prevents condensation forming...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That must be what MarkyMark had in mind. The whole TV recesses into another room where the recep. is located. That is fine if you have that situation where everything is hidden.

mxslick

Do you guys not have a company that makes bathroom safe tellys, like the UK's TileVision? Their tellys run on 24V and have an external power adapter which is placed in a dry area.

Wonder if those could be imported to the US? Of course your video source would have to be PAL/SECAM or you'd have to buy a converter.

I think any of the US brands could easily make this but they are all too scared of litigation/liability to even try. :roll:

e57

I think any of the US brands could easily make this but they are all too scared of litigation/liability to even try. :roll:
TV's are still made here - By who????? The government stopped supporting Zeinith long ago...

Anyway - I've don this... Point the architects and designers at the code book.... Explain they need a solution - if they fail to provide one... I'll eventually suggest they put the tv behind glass in a cabinet type recess outside of the tub - or the few UK models mentioned before - one of which becomes a mirror and is really cool... And since the TV's in the last few I've done were fed by video servers via HDMI - reception was not an issue.... ;)

dbuckley

Wonder if those could be imported to the US? Of course your video source would have to be PAL/SECAM or you'd have to buy a converter.
Pretty much every telly in the world has been willing to show NTSC video (through the composite input sockets) for many a year now, they just autoswitch.

But you could import one of these (presumably non-listed) assemblies, run it off a USA made and listed 24V supply, and use a local signal compatible tuner that spits out composite or component video.

kwired

Electron manager
Do you guys not have a company that makes bathroom safe tellys, like the UK's TileVision? Their tellys run on 24V and have an external power adapter which is placed in a dry area.

I have three LCD TV's at my house that all have low volt input to the unit itself, but still needs 120 volt receptacle to plug the power supply into.

Status
Not open for further replies.