Wire Purging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local 99

More tech than NEC but this is the only spot that looked good.
I have some underground cables that "may" need to be purged with an inert gas. Has anyone done this, is there a kit available, are there specific contractors who might do this. There is a NEMA document that calls for it in limited applications, and in my opinion this one does not apply however the engineer has interest in it so I want to thouraghly follow through in the event we do need to do it rather than replace.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Joe

drbond24

I think the OP is just talking about Nitrogen purging. This is done to push water out of the strands. If this is what you mean, I don't think it is a big deal. When I worked for a wire manufacturer we had an instruction sheet we sent to people describing how to do it. I'd recommend talking to the wire manufacturer about it.

Local 99

not IGS

not IGS

Not IGS cable, just regular XHHW. Yes, Argon or nitrogen purging. This wire is from a sewer plant that flooded so I feel it is outside of the "purging" scope, but I need to check it out. Anyone else know anything about it, such as tools or instructions?? I will call southwire and see if they have anything
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.