looking to hire from temp agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Does anybody have any experience with hiring temps from agencies other than union. I understand temp agencies have their pro's and con's. I am wanting to move into bigger projects and expand my dog and pony show. I am thinking maybe this would be a good move for time being.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not sure how that works, but was just talking with the owner of a local supply house who called a temp agency for help with a physical inventory of his stock. The person they sent him could not read or write. I am not suggesting this is always the type of help you will get, but I would do some serious checking before hiring from a temp agency.

ohmhead

Well if were talking labor force people ? If you want the truth of what temps are all about here it is there basically drunks who need cash to buy more wine or beer.

This would include labor or temp electricians

We see them everyday on most projects for clean up trash and sweeping they work 2 hours a day and hide the other 6 hours unless you work with them but then they just work real slow so your not saving anything.

Only good point is the ones that really dont like to work quit and never return the next day .
And companys like them because there not on your insurance or workmans comp no bennys needed . And they can come and go . Sorry but thats hands on seeing it on many jobs !

Last edited:

walkerj

Well if were talking labor force people ? If you want the truth of what temps are all about here it is there basically drunks who need cash to buy more wine or beer.

This would include labor or temp electricians

We see them everyday on most projects for clean up trash and sweeping they work 2 hours a day and hide the other 6 hours unless you work with them but then they just work real slow so your not saving anything.

Only good point is the ones that really dont like to work quit and never return the next day .
And companys like them because there not on your insurance or workmans comp no bennys needed . And they can come and go . Sorry but thats hands on seeing it on many jobs !

I agree 100%

We used an electrical temp agency on a large project.

There were two types of guys:
The ones that wanted money now and the ones that wanted to make the job last as long as possible.

cadpoint

Well it certainly is the employers market! Seems it could go several ways in respects to you situation, IMO!

Last job I got to talk to anyone that had an opening; there were over 100 applicants for a journeymans job!

Another job opening even required 10 hours of OSHA training, well I know what course they wanted but there is like thirty potential courses one could take! Oh the Agent didn't know what course was required!

It would be clear enough to you with your own stipulations of quailifing a candidate. Working through the "a service", and finding the the right service will be on you, verses a stack of resumes, a post, a connection, a who do you know, etc, etc,

One's balance sheet is one situation to consider also. That while a service in this one case of hiring for you is an expense and not a deduction.
(frankly it's been a while since that dance, but let me just throw that out!)

It can be done but it's also a still a buyer beware situation over-all when one shops for services.

Good Luck!

Buck Parrish

As a small company, the ones I got that did not know what was suggested, they knew. We sent them back.

You can get a helper for $25-30
A mechanic or journeymen for $ 40- 50

If you get a mechanic that didn't know any thing. He goes back !

But mostly when we needed them it was something specific. Such as a long wire pull, etc...

Karl H

I've had nothing but BAD experiences with skilled temp labor. Even some
bare minimum remedial labor there were issues. I know there are guys that
are down on there luck and need a temp job. But, I have a project to
complete, and I send a request for a skilled "electrician", knowing it's from
a temp service, so I don't expect much. But, sometimes "almost" anything could potentially help,until you learn that most of these guys (In my
experience) are just unhireable. That's why they work for a temp service.
Some may be out of desperation and some cause it fits their "Lifestyle".
It's like any "New" hire, you'll know when you meet them.

lefty

Temps

Temps

In order to do this in Oklahoma, the staffing company must have an Electrical contractors license on their staff. Their are a few that do this, and from what I have gathered, they will put them through a written test, check their license, and have a practicle test, what ever their contractor on the staff desires so that they are hirable. Send me a private message if you need the contacts of these people and I will gladly give it to you. The ones that I give would be the ones that could handle any project in the United States.

peter

Peter in San Diego

Peter in San Diego

Personally, I am signed up with Contractor's Labor Pool. So far, I have successfully worked 4 days for them in the last two years. I have a California Jouneyman's License.
Construction is dead in this country.
I would suggest you hire for those temporary projects where you don't need anyone full time but need some extra labor for a short time deal. I have no experience with duds.
~Peter in San Diego

stevenje

Personally, I am signed up with Contractor's Labor Pool. So far, I have successfully worked 4 days for them in the last two years. I have a California Jouneyman's License.
Construction is dead in this country.
I would suggest you hire for those temporary projects where you don't need anyone full time but need some extra labor for a short time deal. I have no experience with duds.
~Peter in San Diego

About 10 years ago I signed up with Contractors Labor Pool (CLP) out of Denver. They sent me out to large EC that was in the second year of a two year project. You had to pass a drug test before CLP would even give you an interview. CLP was run very professionally. CLP had three other journeyman besides myself on the project. Two out of the three were excellent journeyman and the other one was a good worker but lacked a good working knowledge of the code. They kept two of us up to the end because we had been given the job of installing all of the fire alarm systems for all of the buildings from the piping to the testing. It was one of the best jobs that I have worked on. After it was over CLP did not have any work in my area so I moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.