Dedicated Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

yired29

210.52 (B) (3) At least two small-appliance branch circuits are required to feed the receptacles that serve countertop surfaces in a kitchen, either, or both, of the small-appliance branch circuits that serve countertop receptacles can also supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen.

If lets say I have a receptacle outlet for a trash compactor could I use the SABC for the counter tops to feed this receptacle? Of course as long as the directions for said trash compactor does not call for a individual branch circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
210.52 (B) (3) At least two small-appliance branch circuits are required to feed the receptacles that serve countertop surfaces in a kitchen, either, or both, of the small-appliance branch circuits that serve countertop receptacles can also supply receptacle outlets in the same kitchen.

If lets say I have a receptacle outlet for a trash compactor could I use the SABC for the counter tops to feed this receptacle? Of course as long as the directions for said trash compactor does not call for a individual branch circuit.

You could but it would be a violation. :grin: The SABC must serve countertop receptacles, kit. wall & floor recep. covered by 210.52(C) and recep outlets for refrigeration.

The trash compactor does not fit into these categories.

TT009

210.52(B)1: states that refrigeration equipment must be on the SABC.

210.52(B)1 ex. 2: states that a refrigerator can be supplied by a individual branch circuit 15A or greater.

Branch Circuit, Individual: A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment

Utilization Equipment: Equipment that utilizes electric energy for electronic, electromechanical, chemical, heating, lighting, or similar purposes.

I would say you would either have to connect your refrigerator to the SABC or a dedicated circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Branch Circuit, Individual: A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment.
Then you get an inspector who says this means you must use a single receptacle, not a duplex.

10 times the money for "half" the product.

TT009

Then you get an inspector who says this means you must use a single receptacle, not a duplex.

10 times the money for "half" the product.

You would also have to add the extra home run wire as well. The cheapest route would be to connect it to the SABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.