Point or Dot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Dear all,

Simple question like Dot or point as below which I was asked by a school boy and fortuanately my mind work and found the solution. I have tried to explain it as simple as possible and you may have heard this.

Three guys went to drink tea in a restaurant. The total money cost them 30$ and each paid 10 dollar. The waiter took the 30$ to cashier and cashier checked and told the waiter,"The total becomes 25$ and give them back 5$"

The wait hide 2$ and gave them one one daller to each of them.

Since each of the three guys got one one daller back and the tea cost for each one of them 9$ dallers.

Now if we calculate the total

multiply 9$ ( each person cost ) by 3 ( number of person )
it becomes 27$ which cost three guys.
2$ was hidden by waiter

If we add them 2$ + 27$ = 29$ where is 1$ doller because at the beginning the paid 30$. :D:confused:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Dear all,

Simple question like Dot or point as below which I was asked by a school boy and fortuanately my mind work and found the solution. I have tried to explain it as simple as possible and you may have heard this.

Three guys went to drink tea in a restaurant. The total money cost them 30$ and each paid 10 dollar. The waiter took the 30$ to cashier and cashier checked and told the waiter,"The total becomes 25$ and give them back 5$"

The wait hide 2$ and gave them one one daller to each of them.

Since each of the three guys got one one daller back and the tea cost for each one of them 9$ dallers.

Now if we calculate the total

multiply 9$ ( each person cost ) by 3 ( number of person )
it becomes 27$ which cost three guys.
2$ was hidden by waiter

If we add them 2$ + 27$ = 29$ where is 1$ doller because at the beginning the paid 30$. :D:confused:

The cashier has 25 of the 30 dollars, the waiter has 2 and the three customers each have one. That's a total of 30.

My first year instructor would verbalize code
sections like 240.6 as 240 dot 6.
Now I'm running into instructors that would say 240 point 6 for the same article. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it I'm just wondering which would be the more common.

Thanks for all the help.

When one expresses a numerical value the term 'point' is used. I believe in composition it is called a period. Since this refers to a paragraph, the consistent form would be 'period', but I don't think anybody uses it, so 'point' would be my vote. Since we no longer use Morse code, nobody remembers the point-dash song....:grin:

Cold Fusion

Engineers and math sorts use "point":)

Programmers and other computer wonks use "dot":roll:

I wouldn't even guess about english majors or accountants:confused:

cf

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

See below very good answer by someone:

Dot:
n.

1. A tiny round mark made by or as if by a pointed instrument; a spot.
2. Such a mark used in orthography, as above an i.
3. The basic unit of composition for an image produced by a device that prints text or graphics on paper: a resolution of 900 dots per inch.
2. A tiny amount.
3. In Morse and similar codes, the short sound or signal used in combination with the dash and silent intervals to represent letters, numbers, or punctuation.
4. Mathematics.
1. A decimal point.
2. A symbol (?) indicating multiplication, as in 2 ? 4 = 8.
5. Music. A mark after a note indicating an increase in time value by half.
6. Computer Science. A period, as used as in URLs and e-mail addresses, to separate strings of words, as in www.hmco.com.

Point:
n.
1. A sharp or tapered end: the point of a knife; the point of the antenna.
2. An object having a sharp or tapered end: a stone projectile point.
3. A tapering extension of land projecting into water; a peninsula, cape, or promontory.
4. A mark formed by or as if by a sharp end.
5. A mark or dot used in printing or writing for punctuation, especially a period.
6. A decimal point.
7. Linguistics A vowel point.
8. One of the protruding marks used in certain methods of writing and printing for the blind.
9. Mathematics
a. A dimensionless geometric object having no properties except location.
b. An element in a geometrically described set.
a. A place or locality considered with regard to its position: connections to Chicago and points west.
b. A narrowly particularized and localized position or place; a spot: The troops halted at a point roughly 1,000 yards from the river.
11. A specified degree, condition, or limit, as in a scale or course: the melting point of a substance.
a. Any of the 32 equal divisions marked at the circumference of a mariner's compass card that indicate direction.
b. The interval of 11?15 between any two adjacent markings.

PetrosA

In legalese, 240.4(A), for example, is "Article 240, Section 4". Divisions therein can take on various terminology, such as general statement, subsection, paragraph, condition, requirement, stipulation, etc.... so the "(A)" might be "subsection A".

This seems the best solution to me. I was confused at first by the new codebook numeration (also used to the old dash format) when I came back to the US. It took me a while to realize that although it looks like a decimal number, it isn't. XX.11 doesn't come right after XX.1 as it would if they were "points" or decimals. So "point" sounds kind of misleading to me.

PetrosA

What do you call the digits to the right of the decimal dot? ;)

Tenths, hundredths, thousandths ;)

If it were a decimal point, section 11 would directly follow section 1. As it stands, there is a section 1 and a section 10 (separate sections - impossible if it were a decimal based system) and section 11 follows section 10. For it to work on a decimal basis, it would have to be XXX.001; XXX.002; XXX.003...

If we entered the code with its present numeration into a data base and had the computer organize it using the numbers given, we'd have a very different code ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.